Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Ego Check


The other day my wife made this comment to me, “The guy who wrote this is a great writer.” What my ego heard was “The Guy Who Writes This is a great writer.” I wondered for a moment if she had forgotten that I am “The Guy Who Writes This”, but then I realized she was referring to the author of a book she was reading.

It made me laugh to myself because I made an assumption that I was being rewarded. How often do we mistake something that is said for a compliment or a criticism, when in fact it was a statement made for an entirely other purpose?

I’ve stated on several occasions that I write just to get this stuff out of my head to make room for new ideas to enter, but I have to admit that I often do write now for the readers who come here on a daily basis. I realize this because I’ve discovered several topics that I will not write about so as not to offend those who invest time in this blog every day.

Writing to me is a discipline and a craft that I feel I must practice daily. I liken it to doing a crossword puzzle. If you do them daily you get better at them, but if you stop for a while they become more difficult.

I feel honored that so many people stop by every day for a quick read, even if they don’t agree with what I say, it’s still kind of cool that they keep returning. I am happy that a bunch of you even leave comments.

Now that I’ve allowed my ego a momentary run of freedom from my wife’s comment, I promise it is back where it needs to be. I am The Guy Who Writes This, not the guy who wrote that.

14 Comments:

Blogger Uncle Walt said...

And here I thought you were The Guy Who Writes This and That.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

he's the guy who never stops writing. he can't.

Hey, Guy. That cartoon looks JUST like you. LOL

9:04 AM  
Blogger weese said...

This is why I stop in - I feel similiar in that I enjoy the craft of writing these short snippets. (I too edit my head for my readers at times.. how silly)
Tho lately I haven't had time to 'craft' a proper post.
So, I will just come read yours instead.

9:43 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Walt, it is This and This only. That is a whole other franchise.

Auntie, that's the way I designed it, but somehow they didn't have jeans and Wellingtons or sandals.

Weese, Thanks Darlin. I'll wait for you to post. Priorities...I'm just saying.

10:17 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

I wrote this.

11:45 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Rich I want credit for that, too. While I have you here, did you sic that guy on me last week or was that a weird thing to have happen like that? That was the first time someone ever contacted me about a photo I used. How did he track it?

4:15 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

"The Guy Who Writes This" is a great writer!

Now you've got me wondering what topics you won't write about. I'm trying to think of what might offend me - or what you think might offend me...if I am one of those you worry about offending...

(I'll stop now.)

4:50 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

So just what is it that you won't, or rather don't write about?

5:12 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

As a writer, I can appreciate how well-crafted your work is. If you can make free range fruit interesting, you know how to write.

I enjoy reading you because you know how to write. So whoever your wife was referring to, count yourself among that group.

6:15 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, no fear, you are in the clear. I rather enjoy coming upon a subject that tweaks you ; )

Zoe, I almost answered that, but then I realized that I want to reserve the right to be a douche one day if I change my mind and need to spew.

MO3, P.G. Wodehouse, I'm not that good at the craft, but thank you. And thank you for including me in the positive in your article yesterday. My oh my, I don't even know where to begin to reply to that one.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

No need to reply. Strangely, after I wrote it, I was really done with the whole matter. You can say your piece, but you can't change people's outlooks, so you have to just let it go after that.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

You do okay. But, can't think of anything you could talk about that would be offensive - you seem to walk the tightrope pretty darn well.

3:53 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Lori, I never worry about you, it's the tweaky locals that that I have to have coffee with here is who I don't want to offend.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What's wrong with a lil ego stroke now and then, even if it was offhand.
;)
Tweaky local! I like my coffee black!

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home