Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Go To Goggo


In the quest of a more fuel efficient transportation without the loss of any luxury, which seems odd to me, the auto industry came up with the hybrid. If they were really serious they should start producing Goggomobiles again.

The Goggomobile was a Bavarian automobile manufactured by Glas Auto. Glas Auto was later taken over by BMW. One could buy for a price between $800 and $1500. It had a 15 HP engine and boasted of fuel consumption at 70 miles per gallon. There were 219,531 sedans and 66,511 coupés built from 1955 to 1969. Between 1957 and 1961 some 700 sports cars known as Darts, not to be confused with the Dodge Dart, were produced.



One may wonder why not a Smart Car? Weighing in at 1800 pounds, the Smart Car is twice the weight of the Goggo, it’s maximum speed is 90MPS nearly double that of the Goggo, however the fuel efficiency of the Smart Car is only 31 MPG where the Goggo got 70MPG.

I know you are probably going to tell me about all the safety and pollution stuff that kills any chance that it will ever have improved fuel efficiency. But you can still find Goggo’s to buy out there. Wouldn’t it be cool to drive one?

9 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

I get about 37mpg-ish in my FemmeBox.



porbic: Aspic made with bacon.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Those cars always make me laugh. Looks like a clown car, and I would totally drive one.

6:58 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Odd. I looked and there is not a single goggomobile for sale on ebay. A couple of parts, so I know I spelled it right, but not a single car. I wonder if any still exist out there. Hell, I'd drive one.


veri word: regra- A Jamaican spice not on the FDA approved list.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Joni said...

I get around 35mpg in my 18 yr old Toyota - better than most of the new "fuel efficient" cars. Course, we take very good care of it too, which helps. I would be terrified to drive Hwy 30 in a SmartCar, especially at night!

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it will come up on Daily Steals Deal of the Day?

Moose

Veri; pumedist: One who enjoys the smell of his own farts

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonder if it would even make it up the hills on Hwy 30.

1:13 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

Tata Nano, just not available in the US.

VW--garbses: another name for clothses.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Shelly Rayedeane said...

They would probably sale more of those cars if the car lot was next to a diet center instead of a burger king.

9:50 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, does it run on toast?

Syd, and I bet you could still major tickets with it, but I doubt the glove box could hold your gun.

Darev, there was on on ebay last week for 10,500.

Joni, add more headlights and oncoming traffic will think you are bigger.

Moose, but being in Canada you will be further frustrated.

I know they will make it down the hills.

Rich, until you start an import business.

Shelly, probably why the aren't popular in the US. Too many big asses.

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home