Thursday, March 01, 2007

Monsanto Sucks


I am so pleased every time I see Monsanto getting spanked with an unfavorable ruling or an unfavorable article.

Lately many Starbuck coffee franchises and Safeway have banned the use of milk products that came from cows that have been given the Monsanto growth hormone rBGH. Also creameries such as Dairygold, Wilcox and Tillamook will no longer purchase milk from dairy farmers who still use the growth hormone. Monsanto presents evidence that rBGH is safe, but their evidence is not sound and has not been tested scientifically or reliably. They say that no one can tell the difference between milk that came from treated cows, but if this were true, the tests that detect the hormone in milk wouldn’t find anything.

Next their product Aspartame (NutraSweet, Equal) is being studied because it may cause short term memory loss among a bunch of other health concerns.

Their insomnia medication, Ambien is also under fire for memory loss and it has been found that people will wake up in a zombie like state and eat for hours in the middle of the night and have no memory of doing so.

It is interesting that two of their products work on memory. It is convenient to remove any objection from a potential concerned consumer by removing their memory of their concern.

Finally, their GMO products, (Genetically Modified Organisms), such as Round-Up Ready seeds is an abomination of nature. What they did was create an herbicide called Round-up which is a gyphosphate. Then they genetically designed plants that are gyphosphate tolerant. Round-up has no effect upon these plants.

Not only is it freaky that there are plants that will die when sprayed with this poison, but what happenes when and if this gene is passed on through pollination to other plants. What happens to the insects and birds who gather pollen and nectar from these plants? What happens to animals that forage on these plants? What happens to humans who eat these grains and plants?

Monsanto is on the run with more rice, soy, corn and canola growers getting out of the GMO business. Further more, growers who are still using it are facing law suits from neighboring farms who claim the GMO is changing their crops from cross contamination.

In my eyes, Monsanto is one of the most sinister corporations in the US today. If you are on Ambien, try to do without it of find a different sleep aid. If you see rBGH free milk for sale next to something that isn’t marked, go for the good stuff. Avoid Nutra Sweet products. If something is marked as being GMO free, support that product as well.

Many industries have made fortunes while the consumers paid and acted as guinea pigs for them. Monsanto does not deserve a seat on this gravy train and people should not be sacrificing their wellbeing on these tracks just to be run over.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so weird. I have some Ambien that the doc gave me some time ago for apnea. I took it a few times, but then started reading more about it and it started to scare the ever livin' crap outta me.

A sleep paralytic. You literally could not move on your own during the first few hours after ingestion. Always worried me about a fire or kids that wake up and need their Mummy.

6:08 AM  
Blogger RobbKidd said...

The problem is that Monsanto has high paid lobbyist to peddle their influence even to the small states. In VT, a Monsanto lobbyists testified recently saying the GMO products are good. So last tear of course the Governor vetoed a bill placing restrictions on GMOS. So while high government officials bow down to Monsanto I purposelly avoid any of their products.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Apparently Aspartame also causes tinnitis (ringing in the ears). My sister now suffers from this after years of using Equal. No cure.
And isn't this stuff also in diet-Coke? My neighbour suffered from brutal headaches until he quit drinking the stuff.
Excellent and informative post.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

Amen brother.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

You can't have my Diet Coke.
You hear me?
YOU CAN'T HAVE IT!

Okay, if you can make a product that looks, smells, tastes, and drinks like Diet Coke and doesn't contain Nutrasweet, I'm all over it.

I'm with you on everything else though.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I won't buy products with BGH because I have two girls, one of whom is eight, and I have NO desire to have them develop unusually early, as has been shown in some studies where young girls are exposed to BGH.

I am so sick of the "people be damned" attitude in favor of the almighty corporate dollar. We have to realize that WE are responsible for protecting ourselves. The FDA has been shown to have fallen short on too many occasions.

Union Carbide is another one that comes to mind when I think of Evil Corporations. Maybe others have forgotten Bhopal, but I haven't.

1:00 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Wow, it's much nicer having y'all agreeing with me today as opposed to the way everyone was picking on me the other day.

Jaggy, look for Splenda products. It may not be much better for you, but at least Monsanto won't be getting your money.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are all making me feel guilty.
GUILTY, I SAY!!!
Why who knows what those evil, evil corporations put in the ink that printed the many years of paychecks that I recieved, that allowed me to retire at 47 years old.
Damn them!
Rat Bastards, all of them!
:-;
:-0

10:19 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

You don't get to pull that shit with me Gearhead. You worked for an honest man who ran an honest business that dealt with an honest product. The worse thing your boss ever did was waste some helicopter fuel, but when you're that well off you don't notice things like that.

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ZOWWEEEE!!!!!
Sorry, Guy. :-(
Correct response, wrong time of day.
I assumed that you would read my note in the AM and it would so rev you, that it would cut down on your caffiene intake.
OOOOPS!
But yeah.
In the rare occasion that I see a doctor, the first thing I say is that I will not accept a perscription unless I have a bad infection. Then I will take an antibiotic for a bit.
Otherwise, I refuse to take any of their perscribed poison.
Hugs & Kisses
:-*

10:59 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

How were you to know I'd be in Portland all day : )

5:34 AM  
Blogger oreneta said...

I am so with you. Evil evil evil. Sinister is the word. Great post.

1:50 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Oreneta, Thanks for dropping in. It's always nice to have another Canadian arount to keep me honest.

Yep, simply evil they are.

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home