Thursday, February 22, 2007

Patti's


If you ever want to experience that “Down Home” feeling or the “Back Like it Was in the Old Days” feeling, another local business that you may have overlooked is worth a visit. You will be reminded how local commerce was back in the 50s and 60s.

There is an institution in Knappa, Granny Patti’s Trading Post. This shop is tucked away off the highway on a dirt road behind the card lock fuel station. I am not aware of the history of the building, and I’m not aware of Patti’s history in commerce. All I know is that I visit this shop when ever I go through Knappa.

Patti’s shop is a wonderland for just about anyone. She has stuff that you just don’t see anywhere. It isn’t a store that just sells things to make a profit, but rather a community focal point. Patti does what she can to give people a deal and make life and Knappa a better place.

Patti decided that Knappa needed a library, so she cleared out a large section of her store, put up shelves and stocked it with donated books. People may come and borrow books on the honor system. I have yet to go there and not see someone there perusing the collection.

She wanted to help people who need things, but can’t afford them, so she opened a thrift store in another portion of her shop. She also takes things on consignment among her other products of which are farm and pet supplies, feed and grain, horse and tack, fishing gear, burn barrels and many other unexpected goodies. She even has poultry and livestock living in the back end of the building.

Every summer she has a customer appreciation day which is festive with a petting zoo and other attractions. This year she had a roasted goat to support the local goat breeders. Every Saturday is cake day.

Patti is at the center of this…I’ll call it a cultural center. If she is in the shop you will hear laughter. Patti knows every one and everything. If you don’t see what you want, ask because it’s probably in there somewhere and she’ll find it.

Patti is kind in assisting the community and local organizations with donations. She makes what may be a sometimes difficult life for rural residents, much more bearable and affordable. She’ll share advice, she’ll make you a deal and she’ll make you laugh.

If you find yourself in Knappa go see this show for yourself.

9 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

What an amazing lady. Chances of me ever finding my way to Knappa are just about nil, but if I ever do...

6:53 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

That's why I buy my dog food at a place called Buckles Feed, rather than some place like Petsmart. Well, that and I can't get my holistic dog food at the big chains.

There's just something about locally owned and operated, you can't beat it.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Guy but we just haven't had the same experience at Patti's. The hubby and I do not go there unless it is an emergency and then we still hesitate a bit.

Love,
Anon

4:17 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

As you can see she does have her detractors. I knew you would join us today L.A. It's all cool, and I'm just stating my experience there. It's just like how I can't stand Papa Jacks. That's because when they were closing their old store I stood in line for 45 minutes to pay for some stall mats, and when I got out Don Fischer had them all loaded on his trailer. I had to wait another hour to get my refund. I'm sure the Brims are happy to have your business.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!
And I cannot stand Brims, won't go in there if my life depended on it. Thank God for diversity!
Another chuckle here, too!

I've had great treatment at Uncle Jack's and Grandma Patti's. It is good to remember that these people do have personalities. They are not automatons w/human resource departments giving Saturday morning sensitivity trainings. They are our neighbors, and that's what makes them cool. Sometimes they suck but often when you talk to them about their suckiness you both come away with a better and a more comfortable understanding of one another.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Not only will I drop by, but bring books!

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Papa Jack's here either.... We are strictly Brim's Farm & Garden people.

Love,
Anon

BTW - Hate to be a party pooper but don't think Patti runs the thrift store. I think it belongs to the parent's club at the grade school. But I bet the space is rent free.

8:22 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mo3 great idea, I think you'll love it there.

CB do you ever read your email anymore? Also to add to your comment, remember Saturday is Cake day at Patti's

Love Anon, I think Patti now owns the whole building now, so it's a real solid for her to donate the space. As for your going to Brims, they have poultry, so you better tell your husband to get down there before they are sold out ; )

10:27 PM  
Blogger hooflyte said...

Patti is always helpful with info and advice and if she does not know, she will find out stuff for you. Honor library is very nice too. Cake day is fab! Sometimes there is a line as this is the busiest feed/tackle/garden/livestock/everything else store I have been to.

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home