Friday, February 16, 2007

Country Blues



To the casual observer and listener, Country music and Blues may have a lot in common. Both are indigenous American art forms. Both are pretty much based on a three chord progression. Both often deal with heartbreak and pain.

There is however a big difference in attitude between the two. In Country music there seems to be a continual theme of either, “I hurt you and I’m sorry”, or “You hurt me but I still love you and always will.” It’s really mushy when you think about.

Now the Blues is totally different with the theme of, “You hurt me, and not only am I not going to let that happen again, but I will get my revenge on you, you dirty rat bastard, or you rotten bitch.”

Think of it, songs like “Further on up the road, someone’s gonna hurt you like you hurt me.” Or David Bromberg singing, “I’ll be god damned if I will ever be your fool!” These are just a few that come to mind, but think of this the next time you listen to Country or the Blues. If you are heartbroken and you want sappy, listen to Country, but if you want to wield a hatchet you better put on your shades and turn the blues up really loud.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'round these parts there's only 2 kinds of music and most like both of them.

Country AND Western.

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which is why I am a blues fan. Even used to be the frontman in a blues band called Shot in the Dark.

Country music is O K if you play it backwards. You get your woman back, you get your dog and your job back and your horse and your pickup...the list goes on.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

I like a lot of blues, but I can't stand the twang of most country. Especially pop country that's coming out these days. There is a really fine line and though I can't define it, I know it when I hear it.

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blues instantly transports me to this grotty bar in Spokane called the Red Lion. Dark, dank, reeking, yet so alive. Oh.....the old days...........

8:17 AM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

Moosehead: LOL!

I grew up on Country music, artists like Marty Robbins and Alan Jackson and George Strait.

Now, I'm much more into jazz, blues, and soundtracks. I'll listen to anything I can dance to, and blues ROCKS for swing dancing!

8:58 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Jaggy, it's funny you mention dancing. Blues is definately dancable, but it just looks strange seeing people dancing to the blues. Kind of like a requiem ballet?!?

Yep, L, I've been to places like that.

Zoe, I'm kind of with you. If it was recorded after 1980 it is country pop.

Moosehead, spot on again, and thanks for that metric info you mailed me.

Anonymous, Western is a rarity, and I'm not sure anyone is doing it any longer. Bob Willis is dead and the Sons of the Pioneers are long gone. Is anyone doing Western music commercially any more?

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer "classic" country and "rockabilly".

I think a lot of "modern" country is only called country because of who sings it. Which is a pet peeve of mine.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

My favorite, "Damn Your Eyes" sung by the inimitable Etta James. Oh, yeah.

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Damn Your Eyes sung by Johnny Cash too. Would like to hear the Etta one.

1:23 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

They Eyes have it...sorry, I couldn't resist.

Walter, you're right. It's like Western was just stuck there because they didn't want to have another section of records. The old stuff was much better than what's out now, but then I have older ears that just don't get the new stuff. It just doesn't have the magic that the old stuff had coming over the crackle of an AM radio.

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No talk of Classic Rock and Old School Rap?

Come on folks!

BTW did anyone catch the Daily A today? That Thartill guy is a continuous MediaWhore!

5:09 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

They are in the archives. Tryan is an achiever, and at least it isn't for something illegal or immoral.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home