Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Small World, Isn't It?



I don’t get out much and going to the blogger meet-up was a treat and reminded me of when I used to live in coffee houses long ago. I should do it more often because I always find inspiration in those places.

One really cool thing happened while we were waiting for others to arrive. There was a fellow messing around with a camera over on the couch. He had a book next to him which was a text book on Black and White Photography by Richard Mizdal. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I had to go over to him and make sure and it was true.

Richard Mizdal was my high school photography teacher. He now teaches Photography at SUNY on Long Island, NY. Small world, eh.

Richard is also a painter. Here is an example of his work.

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I'm going to check out that book for my husband - he's a great photographer and is now going back to all his old black and white pictures.

(And, hey, I was kidding about having written you a poem! I should have put one of those ;-) thingies with my comment yesterday! I love ya but...)

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool is that? I sometimes wonder if I will meet up with long lost friends and teachers (or at least hear about them).

Coffee shops are great for that kind of thing ;-)

8:58 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, I still recall his hardest assignment, white on white. Photographing white things on a white background. He was the most memorable teacher I've ever had, and the only one I am still in contact with.

Trish, being you are the queen of coffee and coffee shops, I bow to you. Oddly I thought of you when I walked through the door. I don't go to coffee shops very often these days. I no sooner sat down and found that there were three couples there who I know pretty well and had brief conversations with them before the bloggers showed up. It was like old home week.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

You'd see Slave Hubby all the time were you to haunt Rusty Cup just before 8 a.m. on workdays or just after lunch on many of them!

That is a cool thing. I loved my HS photo classes.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That painting reminds me of what Henri Rousseau would have painted had he lived near tidelands.

2:00 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I did a website for him once, and I have no idea if it is still out there or not. His style is trompe I'oeil.

Here is a link to more of his work.
Richard
He sent me a print of the window on the far right a few years ago. He had some amazing window paintings.

I will seek out slave one of these days.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home