Thursday, February 08, 2007

Type A


A few years back there was an interesting television show called Northern Exposure. Without going into to much detail, one of the characters was having a mid life evaluation and a caring friend found him grazing in a field. His sympathetic friend said to him, “Grazing, it’s good for you. Grazing makes one think slower.”

This makes me think of all the Type A people I know, who not only think quickly but do everything quickly. It amazes me to see them in action and it is like watching a juggler. Every thing in balance, few details ever over looked.

I have never been a fast thinker. This is not to say that I don’t get on top of my game. Sometimes I am totally on, but I keep it low key. I don’t see how fast thinkers can sustain the energy it takes to think and act so quickly. I’m sure my, “I’ll get back to you” attitude must set their nerves on edge.

One thing I do as a slow thinker, I never respond to anything quickly. If you email me, I will read it and mull it over for a long while before I reply. Not a rude amount of time, but I do consider the topic fully.

I spent some time watching the animals in the pasture. Their heads were down, thinking slowly, not calculating or planning ahead. They were totally in the moment. It must be a real bitch to constantly think beyond the moment and not take the opportunity to graze and slow the world down. I admit that I am thankful to all the Type A people who get a lot done. I just can’t keep up.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget about the type A's that do things for us and so we don't have to.

We are fortunate to have our own "Martha" in our family, my sis-in-law. She is the designated family 'planner' and organizer and relishes every minute of it. Also, she is an awesome baker which always comes in handy in our family!!!! She used to drive me nuts (and my brother too), but now we have come to realize that she is a necessary component of our family and we just 'work with that'.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

I'm a grazer married to a type A. It's been a good match. I've convinced him to do more grazing, though, since his open-heart surgery. He's getting rather good at it. Lord only knows who will take care of the two of us, if this keeps up.

7:05 AM  
Blogger LeLo said...

I've worked with Type As, and yes, they are amazing. But I also think they can be vacant when speaking with them. Yes, They are physically present but their eyes tell you they're not listening, they're busy planning and working out the next things they have to do, always onto the next, always going through the mental checklists. Never being truly present, listening, reacting, feeling the moment.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Don't Type A people burn out faster?
Every once in a while I have a Type A moment. It's exhausting.
Slow is good. Slow and thoughtful and methodical. Graze, smell the roses, etc.

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This life is not a dress-rehearsal folks! Get to typing A while you're young. :-Q
And if you want to see some really cool type A horses, look up Western Horsemen of Oregon and attend their Interstate Games Meet.
Check out the horses right before the Keyhole, or the barrels, poles etc.
Hold'em back! they are ready to Kick @$$.
Same way at home when they see you hooking the horse trailer up to the truck. They about knock you down to get in that trailer.

8:23 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

It looks like we all enjoy riding the waves created by the type As.

Gearhead, I didn't know you were getting into horses. Are you feeling guilty for your success in your other agricultural ventures that you want to have something to lose money on?

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to get things done and get on with life but certainly not in a type A sort of way. I am all about mulling things over and taking my time.

It's all in the balance

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home