Thursday, May 31, 2007

About Face


The photo above was found on flickr.com, and it is something I've done with my own face in the past. You will notice that the left face looks friendlier than the stern right side.

It is odd that we humans can pick up on something as subtle as an eye brow that is elevated slightly higher on one side of the face which we give a characteristic meaning to. We can look at someone and we can instinctively see something deeper about them. We can generally judge if we like someone or not at first glance. It is a totally silly extra sense that we seem to employ quite regularly as humans.

Here is how to see yourself as a right and a left faced person. Photograph your face with a neutral expression, split the image in half, make an extra copy of both sides, turn them around so as to join the right side with an inverted right side photo to make a whole face and do the same with the left side. You will see that when the two right sides are together you look like a different person than you do when the two left sides are together. Somewhere in between is the real you.

9 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Jeez Guy, couldnt you have picked a "less creepy" photo of someone so we wouldnt be scared in the morning when we check in to see what 'goodness' wrapped in an article you have for us today.

Evidently...you like to hear about me retching and gasping over my coffee - and I thought those times were reserved for your 'sick day' photos (which are truly truly incomparable)

6:44 AM  
Blogger RC said...

wow...that's pretty cool...i've never seen that done before.

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But ... what if your image doesn't show up in photographs?

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Impaler - if your image does not appear in a mirror either, consider yourself lucky...I would!!!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

I love my right side..my left side has mysteriously taken on the look of my mother.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I'd give it a try but - "a picture steals the soul," I hate having my picture taken and I'm not so sure I want to see the "real" me.

(Is anyone else having trouble with Guy's word verification or is it just me?)

9:07 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I removed the Word Verification, but if it spams up again I will either turn it on again or make it so only nregistration is necessary.

Beth, I sold my soul long ago, so I have no worries.

Storminmotion wrote me thinking that was a photo of me. No it isn't, though I did have long dark hair 15 years ago and I do have blue eyes, but no it isn't me.

Lori, is that a bad thing?

Vlad, Auntie is an artist, you can hire her to draw you.

Pam, so harsh...

RC, welcome to Rust, thanks for checking in.

Auntie, no excuse for you to call in blog sick again...

9:40 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

I'm with Beth. If the "real" me is as scary as the guy inna mirror, I don't wanna see:)

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didnt call in blog sick again. Just pre-emptively posted last night as I have been doing on occasion. Evidently I have Nuffin' for tomorrow but now have been guilted into not using another sick blog day.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home