Saturday, May 26, 2007

Split Writing Personalities


As many of you know I don't get up and write my articles every morning at 5AM. Instead I write them in advance and post them after 5AM. I was working on this article yesterday and hit "post" rather than "save as draft." So this article was up for about 10 minutes before I realized it and took it down. So if you read it yesterday, you have the day off today. Here it is:

There are a couple blogs I visit for ulterior motives. I’m not so interested in the blogs, but I am interested in the people who reply to these blogs. The people who reply have the funniest most engaging things to say when they comment on blog articles, but when you click their profile and visit their blogs there is little creativity there.

How could this be? How can someone be so good and on when writing comments on someone’s blog, but on their own blogs their writing is poor and uninteresting? It’s almost like a personality disorder. It’s like people who behave totally differently depending who they are with. Like when they are at home they are upstanding citizens, but take them to Las Vegas and they become the person who they have locked up inside them.

I know we all do this from time to time, but how does one turn off the creativity when the lights go down?

I am pretty much myself in all situations. I wake up and I’m me. I write my blog and I’m me. Sure I may be a bit more inflammatory on the blog at times; more than I would be in a face to face situation if I didn’t know someone very well, but I’m still me.

So how can someone who always says the brightest things in a reply not be so clever when they produce their own material?

Just in case you are wondering, these people have never visited this blog and I don’t have their blogs on bloglines and they don’t live around here.

12 Comments:

Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Okay, you answered ALL of my questions in the last paragraph--you ARE good.

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The different personalities is probably because when they are replying to someone else, their natural personality is showing. But when they write their own blog, they are forcing themselves to come up with something to write about, that they think is "serious enough" to justify the time to write it.

It's a problem I would have, if I had my own blog. Which is why I don't, yet.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

I'm with hahn on this one! You had me scared there for a bit. Nothing says, "you're getting a comment from me" like calling a blogger's bluff.

Be thankful you're getting fun comments from people, boring or not. I don't know about other people, but I'm certainly not that lucky. :P

8:55 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Lori, Walt and Jaggy, you are all the same people no matter where you write. And Walt you post articles more often on North Coast than most bloggers post on their own blogs, though Lori and Jaggy do post daily. That is commendable.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Whew, glad for the last paragraph also.......

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!

And yet, we all have that creeping doubt. Did he just add that last paragraph knowing we all thought he was talking about us ... nah! yet, nah ...

12:04 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

cb,
LOL....my 1st paranoid thoughts immediately! I read this in the time it was up I guess, as I wondered about it:)

1:11 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Come come now you guys. I wouldn't pee in my own pool...

6:01 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Read this post quickly - watching for some reassurance - thanks for that last paragraph...

9:36 AM  
Blogger Amaya said...

Way to save yourself. "This doesn't apply to you if you're reading this."
On a similar note, sometimes reading people's stupid comments can take away from a great blog.
This doesn't apply to anyone who is reading this.

1:13 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Amaya, do I detect a wink, wink, nudge, nudge?

5:45 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Speaking of which, isn't it about time for another blogger's conference???? Auntie needs to come this time, as does Slave Hubby. I will insist on it.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home