Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Something's In the Air


It was Joe Cocker’s spastic performance at Woodstock in 1969 that launched what is now considered to some, a respectable art form know as Air Guitar. For those of you who have been living under a rock, Air Guitar is playing guitar to music, except your guitar is made of air instead of wood, resins, frets and strings.

Cocker, by the way, I believe was the only air guitarist to actually play an air bass guitar. All the other Johnny Come Lately air guitarist opt for the six string.

It’s not that I have a lot to say about the air guitar performances or competitions, but I do wonder why there are no air drummers or pianists. How about an air cello? How about an air orchestra? There is plenty of music and air to go around. There are endless air music possibilities out there all waiting for exploitation. Why is it just guitar that comes up air worthy?

12 Comments:

Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

I have an air jazz band - saxophone is the name of my game. I'm awesome. it really wows the girls.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Guy, anyone who knows you very well knows that you have an obsession with doing air guitar to the likes of Angus Young from AC/DC and also Eddie Van Halen.

6:31 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Lori, are they an imaginary band?

Auntie, no on those two, but yes on Frank Zappa and Joe Pass.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Imaginary? To you, or to me?

8:12 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hey, people do play air violins (as in, ah, poor you...) and I do a pretty darn good air piano performance!

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to smash my air guitars into my air amps on the air stage in front of a live air audience like Pete Townshend of The Who used to do.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Crowbar said...

There's lots of air drumming done in Warwick... although to be honest, the bass drum pedal doesn't fully qualify for the "Air" category.

2:21 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

It looks like I've been bested by the closeted air community. You are all so talented. And no one gave me any crap about Joe Pass air guitar.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I think you may be onto something. If you're familiar with Pasadena's "Doo Dah Parade", it sounds like an air marching band would fit right in.

You do Sousaphone.

10:22 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Double B flat...

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most people opt for air guitar over other air instruments, for the simple reason that the air guitarist is at the front of the stage.

Air keyboard? Air drums? Back of stage. Or side, at best.

I believe, in the late 1980's or early 1990's, a company actually made air guitars. Inflatable "guitars" one would "play". IMO, that shows a lack of imagination on the part of the air musician.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

I dated this guy once who played air guitar with such intensity that it scared me. There were lots of things about him that scared me. There's a God and he loves me, because I was gleefully and gratefully dumped.

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home