Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Friendliness and Sincerity


My father told me of a charming business man he often dealt with. He said, “When this guy is shaking your hand you know he is about to screw you, and you like it.”

It is interesting how well we can discern sincerity and motive when we deal with others, though this article is being written to highlight something completely different.

There is a person I come into contact with on a regular basis. When I am in the area I will pop in her office to say hi. We are not friends who hang out together. I have never been to her house and she has never been to mine. I don’t know her personal or cell phone number, and we have never touched or hugged. We have no history other than our occasional conversations in her office.

Once I saw her walking down the street while a creepy looking guy looked like he was following her. I drove back around the block and offered a ride to her destination; she accepted having felt uncomfortable about the perceived potential pursuit, herself.

I bring this friendship up because of her warmth. Every time I see her she seems to sincerely welcome me as though she is genuinely happy I popped in to say hi. It shows in her smile and in her eyes and the cocking of her head to one side. She has real basic body language indicators that tell me she is sincere in her welcome. I've seen her welcome others in the less than sincere manner, but for me it isn’t a fake reception that most people give and get. To me it seems like a heart felt welcome. It feels good to be welcomed rather than accommodated.

I hope everyone has a place where people welcome them warmly without premeditation or condition as I am welcomed when I pop in to say hi. More so, I hope that people can recognize the difference between sincerity and accommodation. She makes me feel sincerely appreciated and I sincerely appreciate her. It's nice being liked.

7 Comments:

Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Why, Guy, that sounds almost...sociable. Careful!

5:31 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

I mentioned you in today's post over at Just Me.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

roflmao hahn....you mean to tell me that our Guy isn't sociable?? Perish the thought!!!

Great, kind, make ya feel all warm and fuzzy story Guy....we all know what there's a warm and fuzzy guy lurking inside there!!!

{{{GUY}}}

**wink**

8:17 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

There are many places where I am welcomed warmly and with sincerity - thank God.
It is nice to be liked, isn't it? And it's also nice to appreciate those who like and welcome us - good for you for writing about it.

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi guy,

It truly brightens my day when you take the time to pop in my office and say hi. Thanks for letting me know how you feel. Back at ya!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

You need to pop in more often.

11:00 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

OK Lori and Boo, Kumbaya ya bastards...

Donna, thanks for the mention. Good topic and you can expect more from me on that topic soon.

Beth, it beats the look of dread, doesn't it.

Anon, you are a gem.

Auntie, I don't want to wear out my welcome.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home