Sunday, December 02, 2007

A Knife


The only time I had a knife while I was growing up was when I went fishing. It was always in my tackle box and necessary for gutting fish, but other than that I had no interest in carrying a knife with me.

When I was 13 I worked on a farm. The farmer was one of my father’s friends. When the farmer died, his wife gave my father all of the farmer’s fishing equipment. In the inventory of equipment was a pocket knife. It was a non-descript knife with no intelligible markings that would hint of its origins. When my father died the fishing equipment went to my brother and to a nephew, but somehow I ended up with the knife.

This knife sat in my desk drawer for fifteen years or so. One day I came across it and realized how handy a knife could be. I was always looking for something to cut one thing or another, and it finally dawned on me that a pocket knife would be well worth the weight it would add to my pocket.

This is an old knife. It has a steel blade, not a stainless steel blade. Stainless steel blades can’t hold an edge. Sharpen them all you want and five minutes later they are no longer sharp, even if you didn’t use them. The steel blade on my knife sharpens well with a stone and will hold its edge through months of use. Yes, I am too lazy to photograph the knife so I found one almost like it on ebay.

It amazes me how often I am asked if I have a knife. I have to think about it and I’m always delighted to realize that I do have one that is sharp and ready to use. I will let people use it, but never out of my sight.

This knife has had three owners (that I know of) and it is becoming so much a part of me that I may have to carefully consider who will be getting it next.

11 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

It's a guy thing. (No pun intended.)
But the history of your knife is fascinating.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure agree with you about most stainless steel knives. Take forever to sharpen and dull in an instant. The high carbon steel ones like Gerber are even worse. One of the best Christmas presents my dad ever gave me was a Leatherman multi tool about 15 years ago. For some reason it's stainless surgical steel and the hollow ground blade sharpens easily and holds an edge. I do a lot of repair and maintenance in my work and precision made original Leatherman provides the right tool for the job so often every day I feel incomplete without it. I tried one of the new bigger locking Leathermans for a while but didn't care for it, went back to the original.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

And speaking of Guy things - no posting in two days? What's up with that?

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

>>>And speaking of Guy things - no posting in two days? What's up with that?<<<


Wind, water, no electricity.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Hope everything's okay up there, the storm at the coast actually made our Southern California news!

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I will tell you straight; everything is NOT O.K.
They had wind gusts of 140 mph plus.
Over 25000 still without electricity. Some will wait for another week for juice.
Guy will have a lot to write about after all of this.
That is,,, IF he is still alive.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Sounds & looks(on TV) like a big mess there. You even made major story status on German, Spanish, French, and Japanese TV.
My uncle gave me an 'Old Timer' small pocket knife the 2nd day on the farm. I'm on my 3rd now and this blade is almost down to 2/3 original length, which I consider 'retirement age'. still got the other 2 stashed here somewhere.
Waiting anxiously for your return.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

I'm thinking Guy is too ornery to not survive.

Thanks for the update Gearhead - had no idea.

Guy - hope you and yours and your critters and place are okay!

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi All

Guy told me to post something...so here is something.

Lots of trees fell at his house, but somehow there ended up being little damage To his property.

Him and the other farmzy crew are passing around a generator to keep all the food cold. His last words were...."Tell everyone how bad it really is here...there is no INTERNET!"

I should have some in a few...most are within a few miles of Guy's house.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Miss you.
Hope things are okay - or getting better.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Thanx Thartill:)

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home