Friday, November 23, 2007

Jack Frost


I been thinking about the things people believe lately. This train of thought started recently when I found myself scraping frost from my windshield. I normally park in a garage so I rarely see frost on glass. I haven’t seen frost on the windows of my home either.

I thought back to when I was four years old. We lived in a house where the windows would frost up on cold nights. I remember my mother explaining that the windows had been painted by Jack Frost, who dashes about on cold nights and paints windows with frost. Even at four years old the story sounded somewhat plausible, but not logical so I pressed my mother with question after question about Jack’s activities. She got to the point where she knew I wasn’t buying it and gave it to me straight. There was no such person as Jack Frost.

It was a month later that year when I pondered Santa, coming to the same conclusion. My mother resisted and finally gave in there as well, but swore me to secrecy since she didn’t want me to be responsible for ruining the beliefs of others.

The following September started attending Kindergarten at a Catholic school. This was where I was being indoctrinated with religion. Resistance was futile, I was assimilated. Questioning anything was addressed quickly with a thick wooden yard stick across ones ass. I had to wait until I was finished with that school in the eight-grade before I could come out as an Atheist.

I’ve never been a believer. Sure I will support a cause here and there, but true belief is something I am not capable of. I marvel at those who do believe. I am somewhat envious that I can’t fathom the idea that there are 72 virgins waiting for some people in their after life, or that people will one day meet Jesus or their friends and relatives that have gone before them. God, Heaven, Hell, Happy Hunting Ground, Reincarnation, Jack Frost and the like, I don’t believe in any of it.

People seem fixated of life after death. There are millions of people who attend religious services and dedicate their behavior totally to this reward concept. However, the potential for disappointment with that line of thinking is nearly as large as the universe. Life after death? I will be content finding there is death after life and I’ll leave it at that.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mike S said...

Amen!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

No matter what their belief (or lack of) everyone should lead their lives as though this is it.

(Do you still believe in the Easter Bunny?)

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't anyone ever teach not to talk religion? If you do you might have to suffer through someones else's opinion, or find yourself watching Zeitgeist parts I&II. The way I see it as a jack Presbyterian who , you got the Father, Son and holy ghost. all equal, all the same. Buy one get two free. I believe in the Holy Ghost. The spirit with which you lived, that touched others, registered an impact. That lives on, it morphs and moves kind of like the butterfly effect. Could life evolve without a creative force? Anyway I roll with the Ghost.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Guy, I appreciate the honesty.
Unfortunatly, over 70% of Americans that are asked if they believe will blurt out a very unconvincing "yes". I do not BELIEVE that they are answering honestly.
They answer "yes" out of fear, out of programming, out of the need to fit into "the group", ect....
They however, have not ever taken the time to get right down to the core of their being and face themselves with the reality of the hard question.

Here's a question for you and your fans to weigh at night with the covers pulled over your heads where no one is looking:
What are the biggest waste of human resourses that plague mankind?
Here are my top 3:
1)Religion
2)Sports
3)Drugs

Think about all that could be accomplished if we could wipe those off of the face of the earth.
Think of the money, time, energy and everything else that is a complete and total waste, conrtibuting NOTHING to future generations?!!!!

By the way, have you seen this new dance thing that teams are doing at games to taunt the other team?
I really hate sports!

5:49 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mike, Brother!

Beth, only if a Easter Bunny brings me a new shinny back hoe. I'll believe in anyone or anything that brings me a new shinny back hoe.

Anon, Your reply was lost in my short attention span, though I'm sure it was funny. But you know, I must confess, I started writing this as a real innocent piece, but it just got away from me. I used to be accused of writing anti-religious pieces every Sunday. Maybe all that nasty religious crap inside me needs to be vomited out from time to time. Thanks for joining me for the ride anyway...

Gearhead, I'm with you except for the drugs. Yes, using them sucks, however a wise man will trade them like commodities. Corn futures, pork bellies, and crack. There's a fortune to be made.

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guy - you're wrong about the potential for disappointment with the thinking that there is some kind of "life after death". If there isn't, nobody will know ... so no disappointment.

But if there IS, the disappointment will be for those who believed there wasn't. Because they will realize they were wrong.

And if it isn't what some people think it will be ... well, there may be some disappointment that it's less than they thought. Or happiness that it's more than they thought.

Anyways, I believe in an "afterlife" for the simple reason that I've had personal experience with spiritual forces.

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guy sorry about the hard to understand post. There were a few typos and I should know to stay away from the keyboard after 4 drinks and a few hits of the brother in laws holiday bud. Lets just say I'm sure your spirit will live on long after the last blog entry.

11:51 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Anon, now you're talking heaven...

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home