Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Phobias and Setting the Record Straight


OK, I keep hearing about my phobias. I’m mocked on the forums about needing a plastic bubble and people saying things to me in person like, “you are so nutty with all your phobias.”

My germ phobia doesn’t control me. I won’t let it. When you walk past someone who was just coughing up a lung, tell me you take a deep breath hoping to capture some of the expelled virus essence. If not and you hold your breath in hopes of self preservation, you are more like me. Is that wrong? I am fully aware that there are germs everywhere and it is often the one you don’t see is the one that gets you.

Yes, I hate shaking hands with people but I still do it because it is socially awkward not to. Tell me you haven’t shaken hands with someone and wondered what the hell was going on in the palm of that hand.

Funny story about that and my reputation proceeding me, I ran into a friend the other day who told me I shocked his wife. I didn’t like the sound of that so I asked for clarification. He was someone who had the party I went to recently. Before the party he warned his wife that his friend Guy would be attending, and told her not to make any effort to shake my hand because I am nutty about that sort of thing. So I show up and he introduces me to his wife and I immediately reach out and shake her hand. Now I look not only like a kook but like a hypocrite as well. I don't have a problem with that because I am often both, a kook and a hypocrite.

Though I’ll admit my mind is abnormal in many respects; I can still conduct myself as expected socially. So please don’t walk on egg shells around me. I will make accommodations for any quirks on my own, and you probably would never notice.

It was a great party, by the way. I even stayed up hours past my bet time. And yes, I got comments on that, too.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guy,

We are having a potluck at my office today.. would you like to join us?

Love,
Anon

6:25 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

There's a world of difference between being a kook and being cautious. Any sane person has an aversion to germs. The cashier at the grocery store sneezed all over my grapes - I actually saw the spittle!
And, Guy, we all have our quirks. Some of us just don't admit to them.

6:57 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Love Anon, I'll bring some warm mayonnaise soup.

Beth, wouldn't that be a fun Meme for bloggers; top ten personal quirks and neurosis.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

HAHAHA--warm mayonnaise soup! Sounds like family reunions back home in Iowa!

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a thing about people dropping in unannounced.
You may be thinking that this is an annoyance and not a phobia.
You would think otherwise if you saw my reaction to this event.
A very best friend can turn into an instant enemy.
Hasn't happened since we moved to the compound. But at least once a year I'll see someone standing by the gate waving their arms and walking back and forth.
It must be good excercize to wave your arms and walk back and forth.
Some folks do it for hours......

9:22 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

Guy, I'd argue that your discomfort with certain things doesn't rise to the level of phobia, it's more like an informed preference. If you were truly germ phobic you wouldn't be able to shake hands, ever, without therapy. What you have is just a personality trait and not a big deal--it's part of what makes you you and not somebody else.

2:47 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Yes Lori, I keep an open jar of mayo in my truck at all times reserved just for pot lucks.

Gearhead, Good thing I lost the code to your gate. It would be worth the drive over just to crank you over.

Rich, thank you for being a man of reason. BTW do you ever travel back to Astoria?

3:58 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Since I share many of those same traits, I'm really not ready to call them phobias. Just an exceptional degree of caution. I still traveled the world and still socialize, but like you, there are some parts I'd much rather skip, like the whole socializing thing:)

12:28 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

I would love to get back that way. Unfortunately I'll be here for the foreseeable future with family obligations. Ironically, one of my pictures was KMUN's photo of the day for Nov. 19, even though it's been a couple years since I was out West.

2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm, warm mayonaise soup, reminds me of the Thanksgiving mom forgot the turkey in the trunk of the car for three days. It was also the year she cooked the grey pumpkin pies. Not even the dog would eat them. We never did figure out how she did that one.

7:55 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

CCF you really do need to wrote a book about your mother's cooking adventures.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home