Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Talking Turkey


The Turkey Shoot article reminded me of something cool my father did when I was growing up. I guess I am a lot like him in ways. As they say, the nuts don’t fall far from the tree…

Anyway, as you may have read in the Turkey Shoot article, the local Fire Department would hold an annual Turkey Shoot in the Bean Field. As I wrote in the Bean Field article back in September, at one point some of the Bean field had been developed into an A&P Grocery Store and Strip Mall.

Every year since the beginning of time the Fire Department would get all their turkeys from Janek’s, a local family butcher shop, but after the A&P was built they gave their business to the A&P grocery chain.

My father thought that was a poor decision for them to stop supporting a local family owned store and community institution and throw their money at the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company. Yes, the A&P had lower prices, but Janek’s was part of the history of our town. My called the Fire Chief and the Mayor to voice his opposition. They wouldn’t budge. From that point on we stopped supporting that fund raiser.

His genes in me have given me the ire when I hear that a Wal*Mart is trying to enter and take over a community.

Here is a link to Janek’s History if you are curious

5 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I'm happy to report I have never been in a Wal*Mart store. (And there is one close by.)
I've just read too many damning indictments of their business practices.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

There's a few up here, but every one has gotten a run for the money before being approved. Those that weren't flat dis-approved have had major restrictions placed on them in most cases.

1:12 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I walked into one once just to see if all the bad things I heard about were true. It was worse than I had imagined.

4:50 PM  
Blogger RobbKidd said...

I am glad to find out, it is not just me in the family tree against giant faceless corporate entities. I guess I am not as much as a black sheep in the family as I thought. I wished it was the whole family, for Mom is now not happy that A+P has removed its "lovely" flower department and added a Starbucks in its place.

8:55 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Yes, Robb, your grandfather had a great sense for injustice. He went up against "the Man" on several occasions.

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home