Saturday, November 10, 2007

Gunpowder and Lead


One reason I no longer like or own guns is because of all the stupid things you can do with them that seem to make sense at the time. I grew up with guns and I understood proper gun safety, but I rarely practiced it.

Once a friend and I shot bullets past one another’s ears just so we could hear what a bullet sounded like when passing by. Another time I used the stock of a gun to pound in a tent stake and the gun went off.

Once when I was in my 20s I had a 45 caliber flint lock pistol. I wanted to shoot it one night so I went in the basement and set up a target in front of a stack of news papers. I didn’t load it with a big charge since it was indoors. When it shot the large 45 caliber ball hit the bundle of news papers and didn’t have enough power to pierce them so the ball bounced off the stack and came back and hit me in the stomach. It didn’t pierce the skin but I had a welt for a month or so.

It was then that I started to realize that there was a pattern developing and that maybe I should give up my passion for the smell of gun powder.

9 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

Oh, dear GOD, Guy! You have out-Syded ME!!

7:33 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Hey, little sis, hold my beer!

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't realize you were such a redneck. Hell you could be a relative. Researching family history once I asked my great grandma if there was any one or two things that killed family members. She thought for a minute then said, "Welll, most the women they live inter their 90's or better then they's hearts give out. The men, they don't live so long, most pass before they much more than 40. Your Grandpa he's first made it to 70."

I was appalled and thinking cancer. "What did they all die of?"

She laughed, "Bein' stupid, just plain stupid."

Doing a little more research I discovered almost everyone of the men died shortly after saying, "Hey, watch this!"

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guns are a tool.
I go through several hundred bullets each year just on gophers and grey-diggers.
I nailed a couple of crows in our garden this spring with the shotgun.
If I avoided every item or activity that I engaged in knuckleheadedly when I was a kid there would be:
- No guns
- No tools
- No penis
- No boose
- No motorcycles
- No bikes
- No big mouth
- No etc............

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was about 20 y/o a boyfriend and I were target shooting with his 357 pistol. We got into an argument...of course alcohol was involved. Anyway, I had the gun pointed down to the ground at my side and got so involved in the argument that I accidentally pulled the trigger. The hollow-point bullet grazed the side of my shoe before entering the ground. That was the end of my target shooting days.

Love,
Anon

11:00 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

As a new gunslinger, I must say....Safety First, Guy. And always.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

No longer able to hunt, my collection has been passed on to the next generations. All but for 2 Glock 18s that we keep in the vehicles so we can scare away big critters in case of breakdown until someone comes by. There's no cell signal in most of this area. One shot into the dirt generally suffices due to the big noise created:)

12:54 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

CCF I was a bit of a redneck from age 17-25. It was always more like "Hey, hold my beer and watch this."

Gearhead,I'm glad you kept it as civil as you did with those fellows form Washington State last year.

Love Anon, You always struck me as a bow and arrow woman.

Auntie, is the safety on or off? I'll just have a look down the barrel and see if I can tell...

Mike, I bet ten years ago you would have gone after them bare handed.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

So glad you gave up that passion - you might not have lived to entertain us.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home