Wednesday, January 30, 2008

He's Got A Woody


After reading what someone posted on the Rust Forum the other day, I got to wondering if some names should be banned from future use by parents. I’m talking about the name Woody.

When I was growing up a Woody was an early SUV. It was a cross between a van and a station wagon with actual wooden sides. It was popular with surfers and that is why you’ll hear reference to Woodys in old Beach Boy and Jan and Dean recordings.

The look was so popular that wood-grained sides became the standard of station wagon design by all manufacturers.

Time changes all things. In 1939 it meant something very different when someone said they were gay because they just got a Woody. The definition of “Woody” has changed from a style of car to an erection. So if any of you tell me you are polishing up the Woody, I only hope you are talking about a classic car. I don't want to hear about it if it isn't.

Also, it just doesn’t seem right to hang the name Woody on some poor unsuspecting child. I would also avoid naming a child Peter or Dick for obvious reasons. If your last name happens to be Johnson, caution is also needs to be exercised with the first name. Avoid names like Harry or Slim in that situation. Naming your kid Magic Johnson is a boast.

7 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I certainly know what a Woody means these days (and many other "nicknames" as well) thanks to living with a bunch of males. But it's strange - I have never associated the slang term with Woody Allen.
(And I was very careful naming my kids.)

7:06 AM  
Blogger weese said...

ha!
tho... just how the hell old are you Guy?

10:49 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, you strike me as the careful type, maybe too much so.

Weese, 52, but I have connections to those who came through the 30s. I also had a friend who had a Jeep Woody.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Just like you don't want to name your kid Amanda.

If your last name is Hugandkiss. That would be a bad one.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I got my driver's license....lol albeit eventually but I did get it....driving a Country Squire station wagon with the snazzy wood paneling....or as we affectionately called it...Das Boot!! That thing was frickin' huge!!

3:42 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mo3, that was my favorite prank phone call on the Simpsons.

Boo!!! Hey, being Canadian, Boot is pretty close to the way it sounds, eh? Just yanking on you, Darlin. I was driving to town yesterday and oddly I saw a wood grained Ford wagon on the road. I hadn't seen one in years. Funny how things work out sometimes.

5:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Loved this. :)
Fun reading!!!

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home