Thursday, July 03, 2008

Mayonnaise


I know I risk making Syd puke, but I feel I need to write about mayonnaise. Here’s a comment that Bayou , a friend and Seattle blogger left the other day when were talking about regional foods that we can’t get where we now live.

“I grew up on "Blue Plate" which is no where to be found on the west coast. It was one of the items that I missed from the south. My mom relayed this to my aunt who attempted to send me a jar of Mayo in the mail. Except, she OPENED it first, transferred it to a plastic jar (instead of glass) and then proceeded to mail it. I suppose she forgot about that little "Refrigerate after Opening" statement. It was a jar of bright yellow toxic mush when it arrived. Actually, I'm surprised I've ever eaten mayo again...”

Mayonnaise is something that I’ve found a lot of people totally hate. It’s probably because they can attribute an incident of food poisoning to the stuff at one time or another. I have this same thing with oysters. I had one bad oyster and I’ll never eat them again.

I don’t have any wild mayonnaise enlightenment to share with you today. No stories of how it’s changed my life for the better or the worse. But upon contemplation writing about it today I took out a jar of Best mayonnaise to read over the label. I never noticed it before but there was a seal on the label that states mayonnaise is loaded with Omega 3s, half of the daily recommended daily dose. So rather than taking fish oil pills you can now load up on mayo. It makes one wonder why Baby Ruth candy bars don’t extol the virtues of the peanuts in their content list.

In honor of Richard Brautigan who actually ended his book, Trout Fishing in America with the word Mayonnaise. I too have always wanted to end a blog post with the word, mayonnaise.

11 Comments:

Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

I use mayonnaise as a dating filter. If you are a Miracle Whip person - you are outta there. Mayonnaise is a wonderful food. Except at family reunions at the park in Iowa when it's 100 degrees in August and no one brought a cooler.

8:55 AM  
Blogger weese said...

I liked Miracle Whip as a child... kinda like kids enjoy McDonalds too.
Now - its Helmanns all the way.
Tho in measured amounts... lest us forget I am a middle aged peri-menopausal weight gaining machine.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

OMFG, I broke out into a sweat when I saw the picture.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

mayonnaise makes a great beginning word too.

When I think about mayonnaise I think White Lard.

Is there really much else that can be said about the subject?

10:10 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Lori, I'm mayo and my wife is Miracle Whip. It can work, you know. Just as we each have our own bathroom, we each have our own jars.

Weese, something new needs to be invented. Maybe we should all get into horseradish sauce.

Syd, Sorry Darlin, but I had to write about it. Maybe I should have done a POA post instead, but I don't have any really good photos of you without a dew rag on your head.

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to make my own mayo. I'm too old to be that fussy these days.

Guy, I have to agree with you on the oysters. I had a bad one once. On my wedding night...

12:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have an oyster right now.

GRGGZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZUCK...

damn cold.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why use mayo when you can plaster french dressing all over everything.

I'm a seasonal kind of oyster guy. Colonel panic doesn't know he's eating pregnant oysters this time of year. Damn portland people.

Guy, I'm bummed you blogged about mayo. I was going to blog about mustard and you stole my thunder.

And for my grand departure....Mayonnaise!

6:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

lcg: not portland I live in Marquam Canyon.

When I said Oysters I meant I have a cold.

When I said I have a cold. I meant I have the plague.

Who wants my stuff?

8:15 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Both M-whip & mayo are fine with me. As for oysters, I never eat them raw after a couple friends ended up very ill and hospitalized from bad ones.

11:23 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Cyn, That's a comedy bit waiting to be written. Honeymoon on the Half Shell.

g, don't let me stop you. If you've got something to say about your favorite condiment, say it. I ofter use the blogs of others as a spring board to an article.

CP do you have a Portland address? If so, g is correct.

Mike, you haven't blogged about food for quite a while now.

Susan, will do when I get to town this week. My dialup isn't good for youtube. Thank goodness for wireless coffee shops.

6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home