Friday, June 27, 2008

The Importance of Importance

I’ve been thinking lately about things that were important to me when I was younger as opposed to the things that are important to me now. For instance When I was younger it was important to make the most of every waking hour and today it is more important to get a good nights rest and have time to reflect on things before making rash decisions.

When I was younger it was important to bound up and down stairs three at a time. Now it is important to contemplate every step. When I was young I wanted to work on my cars, and now I work on my house. When I was young I use inappropriate tools, and now I get the best labor saving tools. When I was young I’d read every book I could get my hands on and now I write and write and write some more. When I was young I drove fast and now I pull over to let tractors pass me (only kidding). When I was young I’d buy at least five albums a week. Now I drive in silence listening for tell-tale signs that the truck is going to break down.

When I was young I was obsessed with dating and mating. Now I’m just happy if someone gives me a sincere smile.

Writing this piece reminded me of an old song by Pete Seger. I saw a documentary on him on PBS a couple weeks ago. He’s getting old and this song pretty much sums up the universal aging process.


How do I know my youth is all spent?
My get up and go has got up and went
In spite of it all, I'm able to grin
When I think of the places my get up has been

Old age is golden, I think I've heard said
But sometimes I wonder as I crawl into bed
My ears in a drawer, my teeth in a cup
My eyes on the table until I wake up

As sleep dims my vision, I say to myself
Is there anything else I should lay on the shelf?
But nations are warring and business is vexed
So I'll stick around to see what happens next


When I was younger, my slippers were red
I could kick up my heels right over my head
When I was older my slippers were blue
But still I could dance the whole night thru

Now I am old, my slippers are black
I huff to the store and I puff my way back
But never you laugh, I don't mind at all
I'd rather be huffing than not puff at all


I get up each morning and dust off my wits
Open the paper and read the obits
If I'm not there, I know I'm not dead
So I eat a good breakfast and go back to bed


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stopped off at the little grocery store on Olney, across from the old Ash apts (dont know what they're called now), and was going to get a Daily Astorian. The gal in there said, "We don't have the Daily Asswipe. As a matter of fact, the only time I read it is to see if I'm in the obits!" And, the only reason I had bought it was because we had been told a friends obit was in it and we wanted to see when the memorial service was!

A good song but you know you're only at the half way mark!

3:46 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Cool, I'm still young according to you. I still use inappropriate tools. Who says a crescent wrench can't also be a hammer!

6:02 PM  
Anonymous g said...

you're the oldest "GUY" I know.

I must be young. I thought the chorus "My get up and go, got up and left" was coined by Aerosmith.

I can't believe you didn't save me any strawberries. ;-)

6:55 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Anon, looks like circulation if diving. Half way mark? I was at that when I was 33. I know I'm only going to live to 66. Blog article to follow someday.

No, No Jeff. It is only proper to use an Estwing hammer as a hammer.

G? Aerosmith? They've been robbing songs since time began. Think "Walk this way" was theirs?
Hey the Colonel is telling tales out of school about you in the pot article below.

10:36 PM  
Anonymous small g not big G said...


i am g and i can neither confirm, nor deny that information.

I did not have sexual relations with that woman. I did not inhale. I read that somewhere and made it my own.

What were we talking about?

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home