Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Say Cheese



I remember my mother saying that she always tensed up when anyone brought out a camera and it is nearly always showed in her portraiture. She never translated well from 3 to 2 dimension, but every once in a while there would be a golden photograph of her.

On the other hand I have a sister-in-law who has never had a bad photo taken of her. Though most photos show the same expression, it looks good every time.

I think I suffer the same affliction as my mother. There is only one photograph of me that I find acceptable. It’s the only one I ever use in my bio and it’s getting old, fast. I think I just need to have someone take a hundred or so photos and hopefully there will be one shot that I’ll even like a little.

I wonder if I don’t like my photographs because of projection or I simply don’t look as good as I think I look and my photos are a constant disappointment of the reality of this fact. Maybe I’m cosmetically challenged.

Either way, I need to do something about it. I know that since I have no children of my own, it isn’t important as an item to be handed down to future generations. A photograph of me will have no significance in the future, but for the moment it would be nice to have a reasonable likeness where one can say, “He doesn’t look so bad.”

13 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

100 attempts to get one good photo is a reasonable number. I should know.
I hate it when someone says, "That's a great picture of you," and I happen to think it's awful. Sadly, it probably is the best I can do.

5:10 AM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

I'm with beth on this. When I photograph people, I usually allow three hours and about two hundred photos. When I photograph myself, I allow many sessions and hundreds of frames.

On a totally unrelated topic, I can't figure out what keeps pulling my hair. I live alone, but something behind me pulls my hair. Ooh, I might need to get hidden cameras and find out how I look on Paranoia TV! rofl

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The older I get, the harder it is to look good on film but some how Costco made it happen with one shot on my membership card.

8:11 AM  
Blogger weese said...

you look just fine to me
:)

8:20 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

If I wasn't near the wrong coast I'd make a decent photograph of you, Guy. It's just a matter of timing and the right light. People who are very camera-aware often have their best photos made when they're done candidly rather than posed.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

I've tried to keep track of shots I've permitted myself in since age 17. A total of eleven. Of course, that's not counting passports, licenses, passes, security badges,etc. There are likely some I'm unaware of out there, but I've avoided cameras pretty well. Age has mellowed me some though, as 5 of those 11 were post 1990:)

1:52 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, once that happened in reverse. I was doing photography professionally when I was in my 20s and I did a shoot with an author for the cover of his book and his favorite was the absolute worse photo I had ever taken.

Jaggy, I'm becoming concerned for you...

My Costco photo is so worn out. Just two black dots where my eyes are.

Weese, that's because you saw the only good photo.

Rich, good idea for a contest. Get all the photographer readers together and the prize goes to who ever makes me look best.

Mike, speaking of pictures, what the hell is that avitar you are using? I can't figure out what it is...

5:36 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

It's a Poohawk:
http://www.tumbleweeds.com/poohawk.html

5:57 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Dang, you East Coasters are into some obscure stuff.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Evil Witch said...

I know how you feel. I have this residual image of myself in my head and without fail I look at my photo's and that image is just not there and I think "oh that's bad, I don't look that bad do I?" and I don't. I just don't match the picture of me in my head.

11:09 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Denise, you have little to worry about, my dear.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I have so few photos where I think I look even acceptable. There are fewer as time goes on.

However, I do have a digital camera, and am willing to give your photo a shot, if you're game. Some hints: Don't eat salty foods the night before, drink lots of water and get a good night's sleep. Also, get just a blush of sun the day before.

Let me know.

11:45 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

You have done good work photographing your children. OK, I'll bite.

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home