Saturday, June 14, 2008

It’s OK Being Green


Auntie commented the other day about my new suspenders being green. She had me pegged for someone who would wear red. How wrong could she possibly be? On one hand I may be a “Read me, read me!” type, but I am not a “Look at me, look at me!” type.

Green appeals to me. Green is the natural color around here. I remember what a chore it was to keep the white trim on my house, white. One day I decided to paint it all green because nature was trying to turn it that color any way. Why fight it?

Though I no longer have a pair of dark green trousers, I do feel the pull to get another few pairs. I have green flannel shirts (and a few red but I don’t really like them other than for the Mackinaw look every now and then.) I recently had to retire my favorite pair of green underwear.

Green just blends in with the environment better around here. Green is soothing. Green doesn’t stand out. I don’t like to stand out.

There are some ugly tones of green which I avoid, but I am drawn to a dark forest green. I don’t really like all the marketing that is done around the color green and the environmental green thing. Though the color green is associated with cash, can’t we just drop using “Green” as the pretentious marketing tool? I mean the crap that is sold under the guise of being an “Environmentally Friendly Green Product” just turns my stomach.

So Auntie, my suspenders are green, and they don’t have any slogans on them. I wouldn’t want it any other way.

12 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I've always pegged you as rather reticent regarding personal details of your life. Not so. We now know the colour of your favourite pair of underwear.

I am with you on the, "I don't like to stand out" thing but often wonder if that has been a negative in my life.

4:35 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

green IS my favorite colour, however.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Bpaul said...

When I was a kid, we used to drive through the Sacramento valley a whole lot. My extended family was there and we saw the valley 5-6 times a year it seemed.

Apparently, the color of rice when it's only about 3-4 inches tall, with the morning sun backlighting it, was my favorite color as a kid. I'd point and say "that's me!."

I still love the vibrant green of young rice straw.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Another green lover here, and I share your disdain for all the 'green' ads printed on 0.0% recycled paper touting how 'environmentally conscious' their company is. Now that they're aware of the problem, maybe they could start DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!

Green is NOT a good color to be dressed in here during certain seasons involving arrows & firearms though.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh - I was just noticing that my closet has nothing but neutral earthy colors; I don't like to stand out either. Dark brown is my current favorite. Green is good too...

5:19 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

See, it is easy being green.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

Now I gotta ask ...

Are they REAL suspenders, or the PHONY?

REAL suspenders attach to buttons on the trousers. PHONY suspenders have those "alligator clips" that allow them to attach to anything.

Not many of us around that wear REAL suspenders.

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MY favorite color is green! My favorite room in my house is green, I think my house is a unique shade of green (a color I mixed myself, remember my "star" in Stempers?). My favorite color of clothing are greens mixed with deep burgundy tones.

hmmm, it seems that green is more popular than I had thought.

Green outfit with black fake eyelashes, burgundy eyeshadow and nail polish. And BFG thinks we don't listen to him for fashion advice!

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walt, does that mean you are one of the few men wearing REAL trousers?

10:00 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Walt, you must have missed the article I did on suspenders earlier this week, but: I didn’t go totally crazy by refitting my wardrobe with all new trousers with riveted in suspender buttons; though I am told that is the best way to go. I just got the clip-ons, which is probably frowned upon the way clip-on neck ties are frowned upon by those who know how to tie a Windsor knot.

The suspenders I bought are a twelve-dollar quick fix, though I may migrate over to professional suspenders one day.

CB I have 3 green rooms in my house. BFG?

5:36 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

cb - yes. I am one of the few people (not just men) wearing REAL trousers.

guy - if you do decide to "migrate over", check out wwmerc.com online. No, contrary to what people think of me, it doesn't stand for "world wide mercenary". It's "Wild West Mercantile". Plenty of choices in REAL suspenders and trousers. Those trousers last longer than modern jeans, too ... so worth the extra cost.

6:30 AM  
Blogger weese said...

While I do love the color green - my trim will remain white, where I can SEE the green moss/mold growing on it. One must be able to see it to clean it. :)

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home