Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Party


Warning, don’t be shocked, but I went to a party last weekend. OK, it was a small party of ten people. I guess I have a reputation because when ever I do show up at a party, everyone gasps and says, “I can’t believe you actually came!” Lori Hahn even called me a “near-misanthrope” on her blog the other day. Too funny, but I’ll have everyone know that I have gone to all but one party that I’ve been invited to in the last year. I wanted to go, but the damn thing started at 9pm (close to my bed time) and it was going to have loud music.

There was a lot of good conversation and story telling going on. Even stranger, someone there actually uttered the word/phrase, “Fiddle-dee-dee!” and brought a room full of conversation to a halt. “WTF was that?” we all asked collectively.

As with all parties there comes a point when it is time to leave. I am usually the first to leave and I lived up to my reputation. Parties are often over when the food runs out or when someone there makes such a fool of them selves that leaving is the kindest thing one can do to preserve their memory of the foolish person before the stupid action imprints itself permanently in your mind. My favorite party ending event is when the host starts talking about bringing out a game. This is my cue to say, “Thanks, but I need to get home and take care of some animals.”

I’m not big on games, probably because I spell “Tieam” with an “I”. Probably because I humiliate myself enough on my own without the added weight of a game to make me look like a total dork above and beyond the standard I’ve already set for myself.

What can I say? Maybe I can sum it all up with the word/phrase, “Fiddle-dee-dee!”

7 Comments:

Blogger Trop said...

Guy, you are hereby invited to the next Lesbian NASCAR Camping Weekend (with Syd & K and me, Court and our kid).

Right now we're debating Talladega in October (depends on gas, employment situations, etc.).

Whatever. There *will* be a next one. It's just a matter of when. And you are invited.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Guy, take Trop up on the offer and I will come along too !

You DID miss a good, but late and loud party, BTW.

And I am pretty sure that the "fiddle dee-dee" must have been uttered by Scarlett O'Hara as that is the only person I can envision saying such a phrase. That said, however, I am going to try to work it into my day somewhere.....

6:32 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

The "take care of some animals" line is MONEY. I use it for EVERY SINGLE family function. Works like a charm.

6:41 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

I wish I had read this so I could have used the fiddle-dee-dee line last night at the party I went to. Damn.

12:37 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Trop, Though I am an honorary lesbian I never got the NASCAR gene. Can I get home by 8pm to feed the horses?

If Auntie drives we probably make it back by 8pm from Florida.

Syd, we need to compare notes more often because I know you are the queen of getting out of stuff.

Lori, I bet you'll remember it for next time. It got everyone to turn their heads. The person who said it is from the Mid West, as if I had to tell you that being you are from the Mid West as well.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Guy quoting Scarlett O'Hara.
Looks (sounds) good on ya!

2:32 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

Last time I heard someone say fiddle-dee-dee was on a great show from the BBC, Little Britain. I couldn't find a clip with a quick search. This is the character:
Ray

The search did find a List of Catch Phrases

It also turned up a great short film from 1952 on EweToob: Neighbours

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home