Thursday, August 07, 2008

The Return of Silence


The mornings are quiet once again. I slaughtered the roosters yesterday. They were crowing more than they were not and getting aggressive toward one another. They actually pecked one of their own to death earlier this week.

I have to admit that the killing cone assisted in delivering a swift death without the usual flapping and flailing of the victim. Chickens stop all squawking and resistance when they are upside down. One rooster was so large that I had to use a hatchet and a block because he couldn’t fit in the cone.

Slaughter is my least favorite activity here and I try to make it as quick as possible. I do it out of sight of the other birds. After it is over I continue with the process of taking the feathers off and then gutting the animal. I try to keep the offal bucket out of my view.

If you ever feel like you are being robbed paying $10 for a whole chicken, I suggest you slaughter one someday and you’ll change your tune. At $10 they are worth every cent.

I guess all I’m trying to say yet again is please value the food you eat. A lot goes into it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Coq au Vin at Chez Guy ce soir?

5:48 AM  
Blogger weese said...

where the hell can you get a whole chicken for 10 bucks?

8:35 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

See, now, if you were a vegetarian...

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband has never experienced slaughtering anything. I'm not sure he can handle it. Be interesting to see how far he makes it. I'll just be prepared to finish it myself.

He gets woozy looking at x-rays.

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*blink blink

i know we eat meat and all that. but i really try not to think about how it comes to be, all cooked and smothered in sauce on my plate.

come to think of it, i don't eat a whole LOT of meat (chicken and beef being my least favourite), but there is a ton of seafood being consumed by me these days.

after this story, i think i'll continue on with my marine diet! : )

2:17 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Dalia, you don't want to know about the fish industry, do you? Search my archives for an article called Go Fish.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hear, hear...

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home