Monday, February 08, 2010

Chicken Tractor


Yesterdays post brought forward a couple questions as to exactly what a chicken tractor is. It is basically a penned in yard on wheels or skids and it often involves a coop as well. Every day, depending on size you can manually drag or tow the chicken tractor with a lawn tractor to a new location where the chickens can scratch in the dirt and eat greenery.

I don’t use one because the size I would need to house 21 chickens would be enormous. They would also turn the ground into a wasteland within a couple hours. For now I’m much better off letting them roam the acreage where they can get a very diverse diet between the horse stall and the woods and the lawn the gardens and the swamp.

It is the diverse diet that makes my hens eggs so much better than anything available in stores.

6 Comments:

Blogger Shelly Rayedeane said...

I've never seen one of those before, but what a brilliant idea.

4:36 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

and I thought you would have a photo of a chicken on a john deere. Silly me.


lutogic : logic for Lutherans

6:01 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

What an odd contraption. Like a shark cage for chickens. Hmmmm.... thoughts of strapping little cameras to the chickens while they scratched amongst the predators.... The next big show on Animal Planet.

7:52 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

You'd really have fun moving a chicken tractor around in the 2+ feet of snow we have on the ground. Another 10-20 inches coming tomorrow. Grumble, grumble.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got one, but no wheels since our yard is to rough to make them viable. It housed our bantam roosters until they finally annoyed my husband enough he agreed to turn them into pot pies.

8:46 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Shelly, great for a small flock.

Auntie, they get on the Deere from time to time as well.

Darev, OK you get on that and keep me posted.

Rich, I chose no to live where there is ice and snow all winter and 100% heat and humidity all summer.

Ahh, that must be Critter checking in. Her husband is a famous rooster fighter. I've seen the video.

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home