Friday, June 11, 2010

Vent


Once I was driving my horse trailer across the Astoria Bridge when traffic stopped on the Washington side. There was a bit of a breeze and suddenly I saw my vent cover blow off the roof of the trailer. It landed on the pavement. Since I was stopped I was able to retrieve it and reattach it later. Then during the storm of 2007 the damn thing totally blew off again and smashed into a thousand pieces. I replaced it and the new one is still in place.

This week we drove down to Salem to pick up a pop-up tent trailer. We finally realized that tent camping is just not a good fit us; taking an hour to set up a tent and then needing to crawl in and out is a pain. Also, tracking all sorts of stuff in and only being able to stand up in the center makes dressing and undressing inconvenient. Worse yet is folding up a wet tent when you go home.

The tent trailer can sleep 6 and it has a sink, a dining table with bench seats, a three burner stove, ice box and a furnace. It’s pretty slick. It can be towed by a car so I can haul the horses with the truck and my wife can haul the camper with her SUV.

Oddly, when we got home we realized the vent cover had blown off somewhere in route. It’s just amazing that we can’t seem to be able keep a vent cover attached to our trailers.

5 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

You could probably make one yourself that would outlast anything on the market. The next time i go camping, I'm getting a Winnebago. Sleeping on the ground is for kids. My back can't take that carp anymore.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Congratulations!!! So what's first place you're going to take that baby?

6:20 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, I'll probably adapt a larger one to over fit it.

There are a lot of horse camps around the state. It's just nice knowing I'll have a place to go if I'm ever in the dog house.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

My parents nearly lost one in a hail storm. Uncle at the same camp lost both of his the same day due to wind and hail.

They're a pain to replace, but at least they're easy to find and not terribly expensive...

10:52 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Jaggy, It just the inconvenience of something else needing time and money. It seems I never make progress on new things because I'm fixing old things.

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home