Monday, October 11, 2010

Apple Picking Time


Finally the storm was over enabling us to go for a walk. We are usually to busy to stroll the neighborhood, but today was perfect.

On our walk we pass by a field that hasn't even been cut as long as I've lived here. There are trees growing in it and I can see that it will no longer be a field with in my lifetime. The remarkable thing about this field is that there is an apple tree smack-dab in the middle of it. I've written about this tree before. The apples are pretty bitter so I usually feed them to the horses.

While I was picking I noticed two other apple trees at the edge of the field at the wood line. I fought my way through the wild berry vines, through spider webs, but it was worth it. These were choice apples, fit for humans. I ended up picking two cloth shopping bags full of apples.

I suppose I should paint the entire picture for the visual enjoyment of your mind's eye. Though I do try to clean up and look presentable when ever I leave home, I often look like a bum when I'm around here. For this walk I was wearing dirty jeans, farm boots (Wellingtions)and my denim shirt had rips on the shoulders from slinging the chain saw over my shoulder when I walk to a cutting project.

Trying to exit the field I had a bag of apples hanging from each hand and I tripped with every other step. My final steps to get onto the road also threw me off balance. I can just see the people in those three cars that drove by me thinking I was a drunken bum stumbling around in the ditch.

6 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I'm surprised the apples weren't all wormy and misshapen, with the tree untended.

4:02 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I'll bet they wondered if you had a still hid out in the woods somewhere. Hard apple cider, anyone?

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

were you with these bums when they were stealing apples?

http://www.evidently.org/2010/this-life/stealing-apples/

7:03 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, Some were and I left those for the deer.

Darev, someday I'll be looked at by the neighbors like the crazy cat woman that lives in every neighborhood.

Anon, too funny. I haven't been to that site in quite a while. (Long story folks) I'm sure she'll wonder why her stats got a bump today and then she'll ban all the odd IPs.

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evidently, stealing apples makes you a sex god or something.!

6:10 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Works for me.

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home