Sunday, October 10, 2010

Gates


A few years ago most of the logging roads in the western portion of the county were blocked by the newly installed gates. Folks were pissed off, but I really don’t blame the timber companies because people were reckless and they found it a convenient place to drink beer while they drove. It was also a convent for the trespassers to litter and dump their garbage and worse yet animal carcasses in remote places. Having ridden horses back there for years I saw a lot of abuse and the gated do actually help.

I am surprised to see how many gates there are through out the county. Other than logging roads there are gates at the entrance of some businesses, parks, homes and of course gated communities. This makes me think back the three most memorable gates I remember as a kid.

There was the main gate at the foundry where my father worked. For years they had a gate keeper, but later they could no longer afford the luxury and people had to open and close the gate behind themselves as they exited or entered the plant.

Another set of gates was on the 20 mile long dirt road that went to the lake in Canada. This dirt road went through several farms. As I recall there were five gates where someone had to get out of the car and let the car pass through and re-close the gate behind them.

I also recall the gates on the road to Bear Swamp Lake where my sister lived. I recall two or three of them on this bumpy one-lane road. Years later I recall it being reduced to one gate at the entrance of the road. I guess it was either important to keep people out and keep the beauty in.

In most cases gates are only meant to slow people down. There is always a way to get around them. There is always another entrance or someone willing to share access. I think of this because I have a honey customer that lives in Surf Pines. All the years I’ve been going in to deliver honey to him one would think I’d remember the combination, but no. I’ll have to call him to gain my annual access.

7 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

When I win the lottery and move back to Orygun, I'm going to buy the biggest piece of property I can find and build my house smack in the middle of it. The entrance to the property will have a big arch with a sturdy gate. In large metal letters across the top of the arch it will say "DUNPHERNOUGH". Most people won't get it. The gate will have a complex number and letter keypad to open it. The actual combination will simply be the number of planets in our solar system. Thanks to the twits in charge, nobody under thirty will ever get in.

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 10 gates on my place. I'd love to be able to afford enough fence to make it at least 11 or 12, but that's not happening for a while. Need to get Darev back out here so he can help me put up another hundred yards of fence and those new gates.

8:12 AM  
Blogger mark said...

I've never understood those gates in Surf Pines. One or both of them are open half the time. They don't work when the power goes out. I don't think they provide any real security; that is, I bet the burglary rate in Surf Pines is about the same as it is in un-gated the adjoining Sunset Beach neighborhood. I'll just add those gates to the long list of things I don't get.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Pam said...

don't fence me in.

6:18 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, Isn't there enough gates where you work?

Critter, if you'd get rid of your neighbors you wouldn't need gates.

Mark, I totally agree. The speed bumps there are enough to keep anyone out. Though I must admit I'd love to put a gate across our road. Since they paved it, it has become a super highway. I found out recently that there are over 1000 vehicles a day pass by here.

Pam, you are unfencable.

5:32 AM  
Blogger weese said...

my son says -
leave a gate as you found it.

i suppose that's 'ranch talk'

12:56 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Wise ranch talk, unless a bull is charging you, then you can close the gate from the other side.

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home