Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Temple Grandin Movie


I’ve written about Temple Grandin in the past and for those of you that want to see an amazing story seek out the HBO film, Temple Grandin which was released on DVD on September 17.

This film is the story of Temple, an autistic woman who over came all sorts of obstacles to rise through academia and finally achieve a Ph.D. She is animal expert and an engineer. She sees in pictures and has a photographic memory.

Being autistic, Temple says she sees and reacts to things the same way that animals see and relate to. She single-handedly redesigned the architecture and changed the mind set of most feed yards and slaughter houses so animal will live without fear and cruelty. She uses the behavior of animals to customize accommodating dips and chutes where cattle will walk willingly without prodding. My words can not do justice to the magnitude of her work.

Trust me, if you are into animals at any level you will like this film. When you are done watching it go back to the Special Features and watch the film again with the Director and Temple Grandin’s commentary. This film will make you want to read all her books.

8 Comments:

Blogger Trop said...

I loved this movie. I've watched it at least a dozen times. A remarkable story. Great performances too.

"Nature is cruel. We don't have to be." "We owe them respect!"

5:34 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Hmm... sounds like something worth watching. I'm about half autistic myself, most days. I'll check it out!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Trop said...

Set your DVR for HBO Friday at 2:30 Eastern.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

I just watched this last week...great movie and story and performances.

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Auntie said...

she looks like your wife in this photo....

11:12 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

It is really good when you can see the director's cut.

Auntie, are you going blind?

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my son has aspergers and I have watched a show and now the movie regarding Temple. he only thing I can say is that this movie literally turned on a light in my own head. It went right along with what my own son has said for years. And I am the only one who gets it. I wish he ould have see the movie himself, but I cannot wait for him to watch it himsel. Maybe it will give him comfort that he isnt the only person with this love for animals. When Temple in the movie got on her knees and "acted" likea cow, I think my mouth dropped to the ground, my son does this alot himself. I a grateful for the ones like Temple that make it more clear for the rest of us so that we ma understand a little about their own world a bit. It opened me up a little more.

5:19 AM  
Blogger Guy said...

You can catch some of her lectures at ted.org.

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home