Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hair ER



I finally broke down and went in for a hair cut. I drove all the way into town specifically to get a hair cut, but when I got there I found six people were ahead of me. I figured I’d wait, but the more I looked at that the others that were waiting for their turns in the chair I realized that none of them need a hair cut. They all had short hair.

It was then that I wished barber shops should be run like an emergency room. If there was hair triage I would have been immediately rushed in and revived. I would be the one in most need of help. All others would be considered hair hypochondriacs unless they had out of control hair like me.

I wonder if a hair cut is a weekly discipline for some. I swear that some people in the waiting area could not have had more than one week’s growth. I know it’s important to support your local practitioner, but be reasonable, you may be clogging up the system. Here’s the way I do it. About six weeks after I get a haircut I start looking a little wild again. It’s at that point I give it at least another month. This way when it is cut I get a noticeable difference.

5 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

There is an incredible amount of tonsorial action going on at the prison all of the time. There is a staff barber (an inmate) who cuts only staff hair. But not mine. I don't let inmates that close to me on purpose. Every house has their own barber and a room where he can work. There's always a line. And it always seems like most of the guys in line don't have all that much hair to begin with. They sit in the chair and the barber mows off a sixteenth of an inch of fuzz. If I was the barber I'd tell them "You don't have enough hair as it is. Come back in another month." Even among the staff who utilize the barber there are almost always the ones with no appreciable hair to begin with. I keep mine mowed down to about a quarter of an inch but I wait at least a month in between haircuts.

7:08 AM  
Blogger mark said...

At ten bucks or more for a trim, I don't think a week's growth is good value for your money. With haircuts, I prefer the self-inflicted variety, where I always get my money's worth.

8:26 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I guess I could start using the horse clippers.

5:21 AM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

Um, I cut my own hair. I go in about once every four to six months for a professional cut.

And I cut my husband's hair and my father's hair.

Dad gives me the same rate he'd pay if he had to make an appointment at his barbershop, but he saves the gas and time to get there. Then I have money to spend on crafty things.

Seeing that I don't do manicures or pedicures or facials or spa treatments or tanning, I think our total out-of-pocket expense on beauty services for one year is less than $50.

That's like the price of one haircut for some people!

9:51 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Hey Jaggy, I was down in Tangent last weekend. I still hate the water, but it's a pretty area.

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home