Saturday, January 29, 2011

Don't Mess With This Film


It is rare when I see a trailer for a film that actually makes me want to see a movie. Hollywood has been turning out crap for years. There are always surprises where a film is actually good. I'm thinking of a film like Fight Club that I thought I would hate, but actually ended up loving it.

Remakes of old films are totally unnecessary. I can't think of any remake that was better that the original. King Kong has been remade at least twice that I know of and none of them could ever instill the fear of the original uncut black and white, 1933 version. And movie versions of TV shows are even worse.

I am thankful that no one has ever attempted to remake my favorite all time movie and I curse anyone that tries to defile the classic from 1956, Forbidden Planet.

This movie was the film that pioneered Science Fiction. This film starred Leslie Nelson before he got into comedy. It introduced a believable robot and it introduced viewers to the Monsters of the Id. It also pioneered electronic music.

I am shocked that Hollywood has been kind enough so far to leave this film alone in it's original mastery. I hope this post doesn't jinx it.

6 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Oh my.... That film was on my mind I think it was last week when Anne Francis passed away. That and the song "Science Fiction Double Feature". I got stuck singing bits of that song for hours afterwards. I suspect you jinxed it. Some Hollywood idea monger is going to read this post and it will be in production by the end of the week.

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back when that film came out I was 6 or 7 years old and it was all any of my peers and older kids talked about. Plus there were tv ads for toy Robbie The Robots that everyone had to have--I never got to see the film when I was little but I sure wanted to. Never got the toy robot, either. I think, though, that The Day The Earth Stood Still was the film that kicked off the science fiction film fad-it precluded Forbidden Planet by at least five years.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Trop said...

We'll add that title to our sculptorades game (borrowed from Cranium) for Sci Fi Night at our next every-second-Saturday gay cafe. Court and I have no experience with Sci Fi, yet there was high demand for a Sci Fi night. Thanks for the title.

I thought I'd HATE Fight Club and it's one of my favorite movies. Another movie I thought I'd hate but ended up absolutely loving is Inglourious Basterds.

12:41 PM  
Blogger mark said...

Great movie, Forbidden Planet. Of course Anne Francis ... be still my heart.

5:43 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev and she wasn't on my Death Pool list.

Anon, I may be wrong since I've never seen the Day the Earth Stood Still, but conversations I've had with people over Science Fiction over the years always seem to reference Forbidden Planet and Metropolis, and I rarely hear of TDTESS.

Trop,It is cool and camp. You'll love it. Please report back to me after you see it.

Mark, she certainly jump started a lot of us back in the day.

6:18 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W4_mUBWxwU

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home