Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Calendars


Sometimes our technology empowers us with more confidence than we should have. Having made a recent purchase of a new wall calendar, I was reminded of an event of two years ago when a dear friend with terrific computer graphic skills produced a limit edition of calendars. They were absolutely beautiful and tastefully done. I bought one from her and proudly displayed it in my kitchen.

I use my calendar to keep track of all sorts of stuff. I don’t use my computers for anything like times and dates. I broke my Palm Pilot years ago and never replaced it. If I need to do something it gets written on calendar in the kitchen. That is my main memory and I rely on it.

So I hang my friend’s calendar in the honored position, and I use it the way I’ve used all preceding calendars, and it is reliable, but it all fell apart in June. I was invited to a party for Love Anon's husbands birthday on I believe June 22nd. I looked it up and yes there was indeed a Sunday, June 22nd just sitting there ready for marking.

As you can well gather, I am not one who normally goes to parties, but I try to never miss a Love Anon party. On the third Sunday in June I drive out to Svensen, and find a few people surprised to see me. I had missed the party by one day. I couldn’t figure what could have possibly happened. I’m not normally a date flake.

When I got home I took a closer look at the calendar and saw that there was a Saturday the 22nd and a Sunday the 22nd. She had two 22nds. The Sunday was the one that caught my eye first so that’s where I wrote the party down.

I called my calendar friend and told her the problem I had, and she was already aware of it. The calendar was off by one day for the rest of the year. I had to do the unthinkable. I switched calendars in mid year.

My dear poor friend made new calendars the next year and gave each person with a faulty previous year calendar a new one. I tried to comfort her by suggesting new themes for future years, but I think she has totally left that business behind.

One theme she considered (and it was her idea) was Historic Criminals of Astoria. Now that’s a calendar worth buying. Another idea is to create calendars that are totally messed up so one can use them to avoid just about anything and blame it on the calendar.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahem, no funny calendar business on the 28th! :D And just for you, I did all the invitation via email. You might want to invite the few you want to see--as I'm not sure an invite from me will get them there! :D

9:24 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

She doesn't have an email address on her blog. Probably for good reasons, such as this.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that's easily resolved. :D

HEY CARRIE... Guy needs your email.

See!

This whole calendar thing is depressing, because I just realized that I need to get a new one for next year. I too write everything down, it's my analog PDA. And the one I got last year, purposefully ended in Dec, instead of June just so I wouldn't be tricked into scheduling things for next year at my former job. However, my cleverness is biting me in the backside, since I have NO idea what I'm doing without it!

10:09 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I found one on Slave's blog. You are getting a kick out of publicizing this here aren't you? Feet getting cold...

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the many invitations.
However, I looked at my calendar that Guy gave me a few days ago and there is no 28th. ???
I've heard of leap year; but ANTI leap year? ???
Maybe your calendars have an extra day like the one Guy has.

11:16 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Gearhead, remember when I went to bat for you and put that fat asshone in his place in Newport. Well, my friend, you've paid me back in full, now I have an out if I need one ; )

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I wouldn't have to put stuff on people's blogs if you'd let me advertise. BUT, NO...So, I invited people. Are you confused as to the concept of a meet-up? Because, you can have coffee on your OWN any old day. :D

11:37 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Forgive me Wende, but I'm having a Jeckel and Hyde moment here. I already censor my writing so as not to upset some of the readers, and meeting them may just turn my articles into Sunshine and Lollypops.
I have close to a dozen articles that I'm not posting now because I already know too many of my readers and they'd be really pissed at me if I were to post them. You would not believe the restraint I currently employ. I may just have to start another anonymous blog just to get this stuff off my To-Post list.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, no, no! Post what you write. WHO CARES if you piss off your readers. They come back. Too much time is spent worrying about our readership. I don't know... who said it was our job to make them happy? If they don't like it, they can get their own damn blog and respond. Heh.

And THEN, because they have a blog they will be invited to the BLOGGING meet-up.

I swear, I'd just turn off comments if I could. :D

12:28 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Blogging meet up, where they can verbally and physically render harm. You've thought that one through, didn't cha?

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PARANOID. You, dear sir, are paranoid.

No, see... I think of this as excellent blog fodder. They start throwing food and insults, you can darn well count on the fact I'll be writing about it. Maybe even in the midst of it, as Astoria Coffee has Wifi.

Besides, you are generally loved and respected online... that's not going to change.

Anyhow... if it's too much pressure... you are excused. You will be missed, bu I've already had one RSVP. She and I are quite capable of chatting over coffee.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

However, maybe if you stopped dissing on Santa you wouldn't be fearing for your life right about now. Ha! :D

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's a fat asshone??

12:59 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Moose, that's a sharp ass...you know like me for not checking my spelling before posting...and no that isn't making it into a Contrition post.

Wende, the key word is "Generally" not totally. Who RSVPed to the afirmative?

Dissing Santa? Hmmm... Maybe you shouldn't read the post coming up this Sunday.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home