Monday, January 22, 2007

The Suckage Factor



This week is dedicated to the readers. I posted a Readers Revenge challenge last week where I invited the readers to tell me what they wanted me to write, no topics were out of bounds. Fortunately Lelo had the only embarassing request which I will run later this week.

Being that Mother of Three wrote on this topic yesterday, I will open with this to keep a good thing going:

Portosan asked me to write on people sucking.

One might ask why it is perceived that people suck. What have they done to earn this distinction? Do people really suck?

The act of sucking takes many forms. We are all familiar with what is generally known as sucky behavior, aggressive driving, being mean, being loud and rude. Each of us are guilty of infractions that piss someone off elevating us individually to the “suck” status.

This is all fine and good, but what Port is getting at is pandemic suckatude, and this is akin to what Catholics refer to as “original sin.” These are the sins we are born with that can only be erased by baptism. Yes, we are all born sucking. There are many examples, but I will use only one. Though we may not think we suck individually, we suck as an entity on this planet.

You are reading this article electronically. You are using electricity. Your electricity is being generated by coal, natural gas or hydro powered dams. The thing that suck about that is that the dams flooded native fishing lands and killed many salmon. Coal burning fills the air with sulfur and greenhouse gasses. Strip mines alter and scar the earth in ways that can’t be repaired. Natural gas comes from countries that we have philosophical difference with. By purchasing their gas we in effect support their causes, which is being against us and wanting to kill us. So by using electricity we end up collectively sucking.

If you think you are above sucking you will have to look at everything you do to see if there is a suck link. If there is one you must baptize yourself against the infraction. In the case of electricity you can pay less than 10% more for your electricity bill which is used for renewable resource power. Check out the Blue Sky option for more details.

But there are sucky things we really can’t avoid; like taxes. We pay our taxes and the government does sucky things with it and yes we are responsible for that as well, but to avoid that you would have to live off the land in a cashless society, but then if you are living off the land you are taking the earths resources and fouling the ground with urine and excrement. It’s unavoidable, we all impact our planet and one another with every breath we take.

What can we do to alter the course suckatude? Simply do anything. Do something to make it better. Spend an hour picking up trash. Turn of unneeded lights. Turn off all the lights in your house and meditate for a half hour a day. Make a commitment not to drive one day per week. It all makes a difference.

So maybe if we can suck a little less, our actions will inspire others to suck less as well. Trust me, people will still continue to suck, but maybe we will be able to tollerate it more.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great advice...right along the lines of "Think globally, act locally"

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guy, you read me like a book. Not surprising, it is a quick read I suppose.

I went to Mother of Three's blog this morning and It was a pleasure to read. A little relieved to have a different perspective than what i have been embracing for awhile now.

Today I can go out and look for the kind and selfless, responsible acts that are going on rather than feeling bad about and perceiving all the self serving and arrogant greed going on inside and outside of me.

Anyway, pass me a slice of that people suck cake damnit!

9:18 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Yes, Trish, we are all on this bus together.

Port, that cake is made with very bitter chocolate. Best be careful.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Okay, okay, I suck. Have never thought of the concept of "collective sucking" but now that you mention it, I'm right in there.
I'll do what I can to alter my suckatude. (Which reminds me of that expression "suckin' succotash.")

11:25 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, I think that Sufferin' Succotash!"

2:01 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

Collective suckage, aka, Circle Suck. Many people go through their lives oblivious to how much they waste and consume in the course of their lives, and they don't think about what they can do to make changes. Good on you, Guy, for bringing this out.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Well, it just so happens I am powering my computer by simultaneously pedaling my 10-speed like Ed Begley on "Life With Ed" when he makes toast.

Okay, I'm not, but my dream has always been to "be off the grid." Which is why I moved somewhere that solar is almost impossible. Rats. I hear you, though. We should all try to leave as small of a footprint as possible, but it's impossible not to leave one.

I will say that since moving here, we drive about 90% less. Hubby wanted to live out in the country, and I would prefer that, but I insisted that we were going to get away from using a car as much as possible. We even sold one since we got here and are down to one. I feel good about that.

I'll check out that site. Thanks for making me see the complexities of "suckitude."

4:39 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

See folks, sucking really sucks. One of my favorite Bart Simpson lines is, "I didn't think it was even possible but this sucks and blows!"

I do know that the readers here are intune with all of this stuff, but we all need to be spanked on occasion.

Hey, while I have you here, I was watching Myth Busters recently and they did a thing on how long should you plan to be out of the room before turning off the lights. It takes only less than one second to power the surge of turning a lightbulb. So if you are leaving a room for two seconds, it pays to turn the light off. For florescent lights, turn them off if you will be out of the room for more than 23 seconds.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Amaya said...

This post sucks!
Ha! I couldn't help myself. J/K!
Question from question blog - do you meditate?

5:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I try to counteract people suckage by odd random acts of kindness...in the drive-through at Tim Horton's I will pay for the person behind me's coffee....the looks are priceless!!

5:47 PM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

Mr. Guy, I watched that Mythbusters episode too. I'm now learning how to see in the dark. :) btw, will you please try to squish some of the cake through the wires for me? I could use some chocolate right about now.

7:31 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Amaya, I misread your question at first and thought, thank goodness she didn't ask that when I had Readers Revenge, but the word was meditate. No not formally, but I do spend a lot of time in quiet contemplation.

Boo? You are such a sweet heart for doing that. I'll have to come up and follow you around ; )

Jaggy, as I warned earlier, it is very, very bitter chocolate.

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Social suckagy has nothing to do with electricity.
It has everything to do with the pig you see in the mirror.
Or in rare cases, the angel in the mirror.
Don't begrudge yourself for every mosal that you eat, or every watt that you burn, or your life will really suck.
Try a little tenderness, and loving thoughtful kindness, and you will suck no more.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I LOVE Mythbusters! We have watched like every episode! Did you see the pirate one? Arrgggh! :)

9:39 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Agreed, Gearhead, but I'm talking about wasteful use. When you finish showering you turn the shower off. You don't leave the water running all day because you intend to shower again tomorrow.

Mo3, I've only seen two shows so far, and the one with the electricity really opened my eyes. The old theory was turning on a light used as much electricity as it would to leave the light on for a half hour, but that isn't right at all.

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite one was the myth of the drunken man who electocuted himself by peeing on a subway track or light rail or something like that. They built this poly-clear dummy (a man) filled it with urine looking substance and pulled the cork out it's appendage and let fly. You must see this one.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home