Friday, June 01, 2007

The Brothers


I wrote about practical jokes recently, and I just remembered an event which was absolutely tense and priceless.

I long ago mentioned that I once did some fishing guide work in the Adirondacks. I was hired by two old brothers from the Philadelphia area to take them to the good spots in the Tupper Lake area. I took them trolling for pike in the reedy area between Big Tupper Raquette Pond.

The elder brother was a joker. I could tell that younger brother was a life long victim. Some things never change.

The younger brother was in the front of the boat, and he removed his upper denture and placed it on the seat next to him while he ate a sandwich. The older brother, seated in the middle of the boat, removed his upper denture and switched it with the one next to his brother. He placed the brother’s denture in his shirt pocket. He winked at me so I was in on the joke.

After eating, the younger brother picked up the denture and placed it in his mouth. I could see his tongue and jaw moving back and forth in his profile. He was adjusting and adjusting trying to seat the denture in its proper position. After a minute or so he reached in and removed the denture and threw it overboard saying, “Those goddamn things never fit me!”

I watched the white and pink appliance flutter down like a fishing lure as the boat I piloted trolled by.

8 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Sweet revenge.
Perfect.
And funny.

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I gotta ask ... Did the older brother admit the prank?

As they say "He who laughs last, laughs best".

I'm still debating the posting of the "how to" for my prank of rigging an entire house with firecrackers.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard a great one yesterday. Someone I know bought a really annoying "spongebob" alarm clock that featured spongebob's voice saying something annoying every quarter hour. The person hid it in the intended victim's RV as the victim was about to make a cross state trip on vacation. It was cleverly hidden behind an old defunct radio, and proceeded to go off every 15 minutes. I guess it drove the occupants crazy for a couple of days. When it would go off, it was only a 5 second recording, not really sustained long enough to track by where the sound was coming from. And being an RV, it echoed somewhat.

From what I hear, the occupants of the RV eventually got to their campground, had to tear apart everything before they found the offending SB alarm clock. It now travels throughout their family and friends and has ended up in other vehicles in hard to find places.

12:03 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, it was perfect.

Walt, yes, but no further details because I chose to end the story where I did.

Auntie, oh, it's a good idea to mess with old people driving something that tis the size of a truck on our freeways...

12:57 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

The times when you could really use a camera and none is at hand:)

2:50 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mike the complexity of what went on there would require a four camera motion picture shoot with boom boats, underwater camera, a bow camera and one at the stern. As still shot camera would only confuse the story.

I can still see the whole thing in my head.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Memories like that: priceless!

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boy was someone surprised while cleaning a big old pike years later and found-------------------------------------------------------------------------- no not the dentures but a working transistor radio broadcasting Paul Harvey's rest of the story.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home