Thursday, June 28, 2007

A Summer Best


Every one has their favorite idea of summer. Maybe it’s the smell of the lawn, or cooking over charcoal. Maybe it is the sound of a baseball making contact with an ash wood bat. It could be thousands of things, like I really miss the fire flies that we had on the east coast.

I was thinking about the best things of summer this morning and I finally put my finger on the thing I love best about the upcoming season.

Waking up early every morning is a curse and a blessing. I often get more things done by seven than most people get done all day. Getting up really early removes all my guilt about squeezing in a nap every now and then. So, my most favorite thing about summer is having a nap by an open window where the smells drift on the breeze. It is almost cool enough to cover up, but not quite.

These are the best naps of the year.

11 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Dang, Guy. This just made me SO sleepy.....

6:48 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

One of my favorite things about summer, fresh tomatoes from my garden. Especially when they are still warm from the sun. Yum.

Or maybe walking along the waters edge of Lake Michigan, cool waves breaking over sandy feet, lake air and seagulls.

Of coures softball with my friends is something I look forward to all winter.

9:43 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, you wouldn't need so many naps if you didn't stay up all night on the internet ; )

Zoe, no mention of fish? ; ) Don't forget the kayak.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Is it light out at 7 a.m.? Huh!

I love the smell of a freshly cut lawn, I love the FREE berries everywhere, and I (a vegetarian) especially look forward to dizzying array of fruit and veggies!

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite summer smell ... gunpowder and sulfur.

What did you expect?!?

1:19 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mo3, naps may begin between 9 and Noon.

Walt, just when you've got us all convinced that you are normal...

2:15 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Hey, I was going to say the same think about Walt......

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even at my advanced age- and in this particular stage of the journey of my life-the answer requires no amount of thought.
It has always been, and always will be, the one favorite thing in the mind's eye of a boy and man. The one thing that always intrigues, calms and excites all at the same time.
The girls.
The girls of summer.
The girls of bright summer days and sensual soft summer nights.
It's just the way it is.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Naps are best at 2:30. It's when my dogs nap, it's a natural downtime.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

My favorite summer thing is the wind gently blowing the forest perfumes my way after a light rainfall:)

12:11 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Ahhh, the girls...Nope, I'm over that ; )

Mo3, it's hard to sleep when the animals are about.

Mike, I know you have some nice smelling balsam out there

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home