Friday, July 20, 2007

Seeing the Future Since 1995



Many years ago I ran some experimental web sites. The Internet and the World Wide Web was still relatively new, so just about every site back then was ground breaking.

One particular site I ran was one where if you’d send me a photo of you or your surroundings I’d tell your future. You wouldn’t think anyone would bother sending anything but I got all sorts of photos over the year I kept the site up.

It’s not difficult to see just about everything you need to see from a photo. You can usually tell age, social economic conditions, behavior and all sorts of stuff from photos. There are all sorts of hints such as hair style, make-up, clothing, messages on clothing, lack of clothing, clutter and so on that can lead one to a snap judgments that are generally right on.

We all possess the powers of observation and judgment. It is what tells us not to go into certain establishments and not to trust certain people. Yes, it is prejudicial but that’s human nature. We preserve our future by relating it to things we’ve seen in the past.

Anyway, it was a bunch of fun and I’m considering starting the service up again. My success rate was pretty good as far as those reporting back told me even though my replies were always laced with some brand of snarky repartee . Maybe I'll create a new blog for it.

16 Comments:

Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

I volunteer to be your woman's voice - I like to be snarky too.

It killed me a the psychic fair in SF when it was clear people were just doing a little visual Sherlock Holmes. "Your dog is in danger" as they see the sweater full of long dog hair--"But it will be okay, as will you BMW" (keyring hanging on belt loop.

You should so do it.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hey, do it! Sounds like a great idea. I'd send you a picture (although perhaps not one of my face).

Guess what? I got a (legit) response/comment from someone with GMAC. Thanks again for the post re: corporate watchers.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guy,
I hear you're going to be my new "Pappy"!?!?

9:40 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Hush up, Boy. I haven't begun my courtin yet.

Damn, it's so easy getting under your sister's skin. How do you resist so well?

Lori, you snarky? Nooo ; )

Beth, right on! Nice way to get attention, isn't it?

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guy - he doesnt resist at all. Thats what makes him my 'favorite' brother. :)

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tips to my future Pappy... Don't use the term "moisture"

11:49 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Hey, can you read mine?

12:24 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

I dont know if Guy can, Syd, but I am willing to take a stab at it.

My prediction is that you will come down with a nasty case of PINK-EYE very soon.......

12:30 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

PH, the term is "moist". I dont think the other word has the same effect.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will someone please tell me what the #&ll "snarky" means?!!!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Mistress Cleo! I thought you were in jail!!!

Gearhead: Snarky is kind of like "catty." But without the female connotation.

3:22 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Syd, that's an easy one:
You aren't as big an asshole as people say you are. Though giving a perfectly healthy male cat the name "Miss Bob" did set you back a bit. The future I see for you includes a knit cap and wearing an apron at the Natrual Food Grocery. Dew rags will be a thing of the past for you. Oh and your birds will learn to speak Cajun. Try explaining that to K when she returns.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those were the good ole days....

Love,
Anon....

btw, what babe number was I?

6:07 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

#3, I think. Love, do you remember Touchy Feely U? and what about Flonnie. We go way back, my dear, way back. We were immortal kids back then weren't we? Lots of laughs... I really miss you.

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes.. I was Babe #3... We need to have a Babe Reunion...

Love,
Anon

11:45 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

What? You were testing me to see if I remembered? Bitch!

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home