Thursday, July 12, 2007

Sunday Market, R.I.P.


I’ll admit it, I’m avoiding Sunday Market. It is being killed by its popularity. Like Yogi Berra said, “No body goes there anymore because it’s too crowded.”

I went to Sunday Market last Sunday, which is the second time for me this year. It has gotten worse than I remember it ever being in the past. Not only are there far too many dogs under foot, and far too many childless strollers and double sized strollers being pushed around, but the crowds of people standing and having a social hour in the middle of the street really restricts foot traffic. It’s worse than standing in line at Disney Land. Sometimes it is easier to walk around the block and sneak into the back of the tent you want to buy something from.

I ran into F. Lee and he asked if I was counting the dogs and at that point I had counted fifteen dogs, nine strollers and ten groups of people chatting not letting foot traffic through.

It makes me fondly miss our old Saturday Market at the train station. There was a lot of room and it even seemed more special when it was smaller. It’s sad that there is no where else with a larger area where Sunday Market could happen. It would be nice to spread it out and get it out of the street where people didn’t have to cross main thoroughfares. I understand it’s all about being “down town”, but the crowds are becoming a real deterrent to commerce. We used to spend an average of $35 at each visit. Yesterday we spent $2. Maybe they make it up in volume, maybe not.

I don’t see myself returning to the Sunday Market unless it is raining. I miss being able to actually be heard asking questions of the shop keepers. Now it is such a rush just to get the hell out as quickly as you can.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

d'accord, Guy.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Sounds like people are craving social interaction - too bad there's no other place to get it.

The dog thing? Why do people have to bring their dogs everywhere? I'm a dog owner and lover but would never think of taking him with me shopping or any similar place. What a pain in the ass for me - and for him.

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The people that bring their dogs everywhere are empty nesters or, around these parts, those that never had kids.

And we are happy that some of them never pro-created, believe me.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Now I remember why I avoid the coast in summer with all the dog(?) toting tourist types:)

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a Sunday Market vendor, and I can tell you that some of the vendors are none too happy, either. Despite all the backpedaling and bullshit, things are not as peachy as they seem. Greed seems to be at the core of problem - the market is all about money, and it makes so much money (not necessarily for the vendors) that it's become a cash cow for the city of Astoria. Which is probably why the market is going to hell in a handbasket.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

We really don't go anymore, because it's so packed that I'd be nervous the entire time trying to keep track of all three kids. And, to be honest, not a whole lot of stuff there we want to buy...we have too many knicknacks, but we love the spaghetti sauce and the food stands there are good (yaka soba!).

I will say, that the Market is invaluable to the Animal Shelter. We have had numerous adoptions because of the market of both dogs and cats.

As much shit as I've given you, guy, we actually do leave our dogs at home. All those people are too much for them.

11:21 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mo3, I knew you were a reasonable pet owner.

Anon, it's just lost all of its charm, hasn't it? If you ever want to see something worse, check out the vendors at the State Fair.

Mike, the people who go Down East are probably worse than the folks we have here. Sorry!

Auntie, Beth and Pam...Right on!

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home