Thursday, July 05, 2007

Checking Out


We’ve all had people in our lives that have died. It’s sad, but a fact none the less that one day we too will be in the spotlight, exiting our existence. Faced with this mortality, we can only hope that our exit is quick and painless.

I once work with a man who loved to go fishing. Every day after work he would car-top an aluminum boat to Big Sterling Lake. One day he didn’t come home, and he was found the next day drifting in the boat with his line in the water. He simply slumped over and died in a place where he loved to be.

Nelson Rockefeller died in his mistresses’ apartment, obviously having a good time. Some people are fortunate when their time comes, yet others suffer pain and disease for long periods of time wishing for a quick end to their suffering.

Every few years I take inventory of what my fantasy death would be if I were able to choose. When I was in my 20s I thought an LSD overdose would be a good way to go out. Then later when I was doing a lot of climbing I was thinking that being struck by lightening at the summit of a mountain would be pretty cool.

As I age I’m at the point where I hope I won’t die in certain ways. I don’t want to drown or burn or be cold when I die. I don't want to die in an automobile or plane. I don’t want an adventurous death any more. I'm hoping not to have an ironic death.

I wouldn’t mind falling asleep and not waking up. I wouldn’t mind being shot in the head. Yes, it sounds gruesome, but it is really quick and painless or so I am lead to believe.

As I age I envision my own death differently. I am diabetic, so there is a good chance that complications of diabetes will take me if something else doesn’t get me first. I wouldn’t mind slipping away in a hospital while in a warm room, where I am clean, where there is usually a light on to see by and someone making some sort of noise.

I wonder how it will really happen.

12 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Thanks for the uplifting read this morning, Guy. You've outdone yourself, really.

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It's Not That I'm Afraid of Dying. I Just Don't Want to be There When It Happens."

--Woody Allen

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was listening to some commentary about Mormons on OPB the other day.
Supposably, they baptize their dead??!!!
The interviewer asked, " What if they don't want to be baptized?"
Answer:
"No one has complained so far".

8:00 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, if my blog articles were all sunshine and lolly pops you'd get sick of them quickly, and I'd probably be sucking on the business end of a gun.

I think Woody quotes are par with Mark Twain.

Gearhead, Thanks I think I petition them in advance to leave me alone when I'm gone.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only do they baptize their dead ... they baptize anyone they think they have ties to. Also, never depend on Mormon geneaology, unless you have other sources to back it up. They just want to enlarge their "afterlife families".

As to how I want to die ... either in my sleep, or very quick. Facing a long, pain-ridden death ... I'd put a gun to my head.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Amaya said...

I think you're just verbalizing something we all think about at one time or another. I worry about drowning to death because I came close once and it was very scary. Another fear is to be abducted, raped and murdered in a cruel way. I'm guessing that is a pretty common fear (especially among women).
I can't decide if I'd want to die a quick death or not. Sure, there's appeal in that but I also like the idea of having time to really SEE my life before it's taken away. And maybe even say goodbye.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

After cheating death all these years, being diabetic, carrying around a buncha bullet & shrapnel hunks, I'm no longer in a tizzy about how I go. Long & painful these days can be greatly alleviated. Just take what I'm dealt I guess.
On a happier note, if anyone wants to listen to a sample of Amazing Blondel You-tube has this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbEOnCsc4y4 My musician pal in Dublin is trying to run down places to get downloads. I've got one possibility but haven't tried it yet. Great sound!:):)

12:33 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Walt, a gun to the head is the same reaction I have when I'm invited to just about anything where there will be more than two people, and the reaction I have after spending four hours with anyone.

Amaya, it is probably our fears that keep up from doing stupid things.

Mike, thanks for the YouTube reference. That will give everyone a good taste of what Blondel is about. Thanks.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I just hope I'm not doing something that would embarrass my family. And that they don't put it on my headstone.

2:30 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Syd, my bookie is only willing to pay out 50 cents on a dollar on that bet. Good luck, Girl!

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

>>Walt, a gun to the head is the same reaction I have when I'm invited to just about anything where there will be more than two people, and the reaction I have after spending four hours with anyone.<<

I havn't checked the weather, but I'm guessing its one rainy day at the beach.
:-Q

6:38 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I was going to offer you some Prozac, but then took your comment that if your articles were all lattes and daisies, it'd be even more depressing, so I'm going to lay off, and tell you to look for an antique honey pot coming your way tomorrow.

Oh yeah, and she'll be bringing you an old honey tin from us.

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home