Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Amazing Blondel




Back in the every early 70s I was being entertained by music that was imported from Brittan. I’m not talking about the Mop Tops or the Stones, but records that were way in the back of the record store in the import bin. Not only where they shrink wrapped, but they also came in a soft plastic sleeve.

This was music that rarely ever made it on the radio. Buying it was either hit or miss, but one rarely ever missed with a British import. The Brits had such interesting musical minds.

I mentioned a group to a friend the other day, and he found a copy of the Grail for me. To me the Grail is, ”England” a 1973 release by a group called Amazing Blondel. This group was made up of players Eddie Baird, John Gladwin, and Terry Wincott. They all worked in electric rock bands but settled back into acoustic music in 1970, and took on a thing for medieval and renaissance music for their first three albums. I found them in 1973 when they released fourth album, England, which is still in the realm of renaissance music with a hint of modern folk elements.

Their words are old and agrarian in nature. Their instruments are flute, recorder, lute, guitar, pipe organ, harpsichord, and a few othte modern and period instruments. It is just amazing, hence the name. But the story behind the name is also amazing. They are named after Blondel, a mistrial of King Richard I. Richard I of England was arrested and held for ransom in 1192. Blondel would take his lute and play it in front of each castle all through Europe. He would play the King’s favorite song and sing the first verse, and eventually he played under the correct window and King Richard I sang the second verse. The castle was Durnstein in Lower Austria. Blondel returned home to England and gathered an army and took them to Durnstein where they stormed the castle and liberate their king.


Their music has kept me entertained for thirty five years now, and I deeply thank a dear friend for making it available to me since I don’t use a turn table in my truck.

5 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Thanks to your friend who made 2 copies and thanks to you for giving me the 'spare'. I loved it!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Now I must go on a quest into the "Land of Limewire" seeking the grail. I seem to vaguely remember them, but then, at my age all memories are vague:)

12:06 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

Good luck finding a recording. All I came up with was this:
http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/amazing_blondel

Links to ebay auctions of their vinyl albums.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is, (more than likely), the entire discography for Amazing Blondel in downloadable mp3 files

http://isohunt.com/torrents/Amazing+Blondel?ihs1=12&iho1=d&iht=2


7 cds worth in the first one, the second file is the album-Mulgrave Street

11:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have also been a fan since 1973. I love to sing the songs at SCA events. I would appreciate it if anyone could give me the chords to them. I have Pavan. Mherron888@gmail.com

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home