Monday, July 09, 2007

Paper Please


The plastic article the other day had my mind revisiting the paper or plastic debate. Dried Salmon County Commissioner, Jeff Hazen had a bright idea a few months ago of banning plastic shopping bags in the county being that the plastic bags are produced in China and pulp trees are grown in our county. We stop buying future land-fill from China and give a boost to the local papermaking economy. It is a great idea.

I’m not in favor of the new biodegradable plastic bags which come from a corn derivative. Yes, I think that biodegradable is good, but I think this country is growing and depending on corn way too much. I did an article on that subject last year.

Again I will urge you to return all your plastic grocery bags to the store where you got them. They all have places to recycle the bags by their entrances. Start requesting paper bags or even better use canvas bags.

I know you were probably hoping to read fewer preachy articles from me, but this sort of stuff is catching up with us. I agree with Jim Ring, these plastics are going to kill us one day. I don’t want the circumstances of my death to have any foundation in irony.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Besides .... maybe Boeing can use the recycled plastics in its new "Dreamliner" planes.

I dunno. Epoxy instead of welding. In a plane!

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought the canvas bags but now I have to remember to put them in the backseat of the car and bring them into the store! Little by little, day by day!

9:45 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Walt, I wish they could use them as jet fuel.

CB, we're all doing more than we were five years ago. Hopefully something will help.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I get it.
So now I suppose I have to feel guilty about switching over to plastic toilet paper last week....

6:04 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

The cats MAKE us use paper bags, something about making great toys:)

9:18 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I am going to invest in more canvas bags. Anyone have an idea where's cheapest to get them???

11:12 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Gearhead, yep, back to corn cobs for you.

Mike, paper bags have so many uses as opposed to plastic.

Mo3, I think Fred Meyer has them for a dollar.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home