Saturday, July 14, 2007

Three Things for Survival


There is practical and there is impractical. When asked, “If you were stranded on an island, what are the three things you’d want to have with you?” What sort of answer would you have? This is a fun little game that we play with ourselves every once in a while, but really, what would you want?

I’ve thought about some of the most useful things I keep close to me and I think I have my list: baling twine, duct tape and a blue tarp. Oddly all three of my items are plastic, but they are the most useful items on any farm. On a farm you use baling twine and duct tape to repair just about anything. Tarps are great for temporary shelter or for gathering things.

There are few things that could come up on a deserted island that couldn’t be fixed by baling twine, duct tape and a blue tarp.

13 Comments:

Blogger Jaggy said...

I've always responded like this:
1. Duct tape
2. Piano (or keyboard, whatever)
3. A man (Johnny Depp, please) in a tool belt.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I'd really only want one thing - someone who knew all the necessary survival tactics until we could get off.

On a more impractical level - I'd need books. The great scenary would eventually wear thin.

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Iam thinking duct tape for the DA...:

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duct Tape for the D.A.

Claudia Schiffer for me.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

An emergency transmitter

A flare gun with flares

A search plane passing overhead

10:06 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Complete works of William Shakespeare (I can actually take the time to figure out what the hell he's talking about)

I like the twine thing (can easily be made into thread for sewing, thus removing the necessity for duct tape)

Sela Ward.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would settle for a fishing pole and a little tiki bar staffed by Shakira.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reflecting back to the early '70s when my 2 oldest step brothers & I were lost in the Olympic National Forest for 3 days:
1) Matches. Thank heavens one of them smoked. (?!!)
2) A good knife.

3)It's a toss-up between the tarp and the bailing twine. Either one would go a long way towards shelter.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

OMG, I cannot get passed the fact that it appears that Walter may have "signed up" Could this mean that a blog is soon to follow?

3:02 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

1) bright canvas tarp
2) sturdy twine
3) magnifying glass (heat, mirror)

10:21 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I hope I'm never stranded on an island if most of you are in charge of bringing the survival gear. Gearhead and Mike are OK though.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I probably think about this more than the normal person, because it just seems like something that might happen to me.

1-knife
2-flint stick
3-Life Straw

9:25 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Pheeew... I always worry when Syd has a link to something. Nice product.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home