Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Muzak Transformation



When I was young I was very defensive toward the music I listened to. Any alteration or bastardization was a criminal offence. I would get totally pissed off when someone my parents would listen to took a song of my generation and matured it up.

Two things in my life changed my opinion of this. The first one was when I was sick and in a doctors waiting room waiting to be seen. I was very tired and on the verge of falling asleep as I waited. There was Muzak being played in the background. The song was “I’m not in love” by 10cc. This song was really dreamy on its own, but somehow Muzak made it even dreamier, nearly mind altering. I was lulled and felt better and uplifted by it.

Many years later I got a CD called Lounge-a-palooza because the Soundgarden song, “Black Hole Sun” was being covered by Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme, two Vegas lounge singers. It blew me away. You can listen to it HERE by clicking the play button under the album cover. It may convert you into becoming a fan of these two; that is after you spend an hour or so shaking your head in disbelief.

If you want to hear the real version Here's the Video by Soundgarden.

So these days I welcome anyone to cover any song just to see where they can take it. Who-da-thunk-it?

10 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Okay, I prefer Steve and Eydie's version too. Are we dating ourselves? (Ourselves, not each other.)
And that video was distracting.

Re: your post of yesterday - keep writing. Please. You make me laugh, learn and think.
Congrats on # 500!

5:50 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

I think you have outdone yourself on the "sick day" photos, Guy. What? Oh, I woke up and saw Steve and Edie and thought it must be another "sick day." ar ar ar

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might rescind your open invitation if you heard my cd of Dionne Warwick and Placido Domingo titled Celebration in Vienna. Their duets of "Smile" and "Over the Rainbow" are a couple of the more bizarre I've heard.

7:17 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, thanks, Darlin...

Auntie, sick days are always the first Monday of the month and you know that.

Anon, though that may sound bad now, but get this, Allison Kraus is doing an album with Robert Plant. Now that will gag a maggot.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

I know, I am just messing with you. In your advanced years I figured you would be easy to "confuse." Guess not!

Anon - I think I have been tortured with that particular CD before...........

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my favorite bands: Steely Dan.
But one night I awoke to hear somebody on the radio performing one of their songs SO MUCH BETTER than the original, there was no comparison.
It was Hoops McCann Band!!

http://www.broberg.pp.se/hoops_mccann.htm

I am also the proud owner of the original vinal album:

Nadia's Theme by Barry De Vorzon & Perry Botkin Jr.
OH YEAH!!!
Bring on those contempory themes and scores!!!

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you mean "the real version?" Steve and Eydie's IS the real version! Those Soundgarden folks just did the first draft.

Have you heard Devo performing Crosby, Stills and Nash's "Ohio?" It's on the album When Pigs Fly, along with similar amazing covers.

6:41 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Gearhead, cover bands would be a great article. Thanks for bringing it up.

Raincoaster, Devo is still relevant? Dang, who would figure. I figured they all died when Eno was finished with them. I will check out the tune, though. Thanks

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the hell were Steve & Edie thinking?

Actually, though, I've always dreamed about them covering Black Hole Sun, I just never told anyone about it because I didnt want anyone to think I was wierd.

"too long the snake....."

3:45 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I just wish they'd do a freaky video like Soundgarden.

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home