Monday, October 08, 2007

Sun Flowers


Another floral experience I was involved with was sunflowers. I was fascinated by how quickly they grew, how interesting the head pattern was and how when you husked the seeds from the flower head each seed seemed to have a bar code on it and each seed was different.

I lived in a house with a very small yard at the time. I grew about ten sunflower plants a year, but when you buy seeds you usually get a package of thirty seeds. So what do you do with the left over seeds?

I would go for a ride on my bike and plant them. I’d just sneak one seed into a place you wouldn’t ever expect to see a giant sun flower growing. Sometimes it was on the road side. Sometimes it was in a planter box at the library, or near the gate shack at a big industrial complex.

I would plant in May and by August my efforts paid off. Oddly I never heard mention or even a question about where all the sun flowers suddenly came from. People in that town would notice a garage sale sign that had been left up too long and report it to the authorities, however they never seemed to notice the random beauty of a sun flower that just popped up out of no where.

6 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Good work, mister johnny appleseed Guy!

5:40 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I love that story.
The anonymous planter.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

What a super idea!!! Must try that next spring:):):):)

11:08 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

So...Mike...what sort of seeds will you be sewing? (Planning my travel schedule for August.)

12:21 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

I like the idea of random acts of florification.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Not sure yet. Gotta see what'll grow best on its own here. SWMBO will be official advisor on that I think:)

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home