Saturday, December 15, 2007

Another Kind Friend


I have a friend who is a funeral director. I’ve always been fascinated by the whole funeral industry and my interest was peeked when the show Six Feet Under was being run on HBO. I taped the show for her until she had HBO installed at her home.

She attended the Funeral Directors convention in Las Vegas this year and brought back a coffin key chain and a chocolate coffin for me.

I’m wondering if she is trying to recruit me because she just sent me the December edition of one of their trade magazines, American Funeral Director. It surely is a different read. There are a lot of ads for customized Cadillacs and all sorts of morgue equipment in there. It’s a whole industry that most people never consider.

Oddly, the articles are fascinating as well. I won’t go into details, but lets just say they are fascinating.

If you have a sense of humor about death you should check out this website Pushindaisies.com

6 Comments:

Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

When I was in elementary school, we took a tour of a BIG funeral home - a classmate's dad owned it. It fascinated me.

I briefly considered selling prepaid burials (my insurance license was so handy). There are many interesting jobs in the industry and all of them require exceptional people skills.

Since I hate people, I decided not to.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goal # 1 in death is not to give them SOBs one cent more than necissary.
A simple cremation, no funeral, sip, nada, ziltch.
The idea of spending thousands on a fine hardwood and gold casket is profane IMHO.
Thanks for reminding me Guy. Mrs. Gearhead & I need to prearrange our $395.00 cremation packages and discuss it with the sparkplugs.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

You know, you might like a career in that industry. Funeral homes are incredibly clean. Seriously. I'm always amazed. (Not that I go to them that often - yet.) And it's so quiet there...
But you do have to shake hands. So maybe it's not for you.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Guy, We're good friends with the local funeral home owners in our hometown area. I used to do a bit of 'off the wall' work for them. It's the subject of an older post on my blog. I'm another cremation fan. Cheaper, doesn't take up space needing mowing etc, and I can be deposited in my favorite places. Ya can do that up here anyway, excepting populated areas. That's only 5% of the state as we're about 95% forested here.

2:26 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I could see myself doing the non social portions of that business, and it would have been a good career path had I begun 30 years ago. I think Mt. Hood Community College has a program for it.

Lori, you hate people? Since when? Especially after reading your Saturday Post...

Gearhead, we're going to be doing some serious wind damage burning over here pretty soon, so I'll allow anyone to pyre up here to save some cash.

I could do it, though I'd probably ice my hands first to see how many people I can freak out.

Mike 5% of Maine is developed? Only 4% of Oregon is, but you do have a couple hundred years on us.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Just because I get all mushy and sentimental once in a while doesn't mean I like people, dammit.

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home