Sunday, July 06, 2008

Good Morning Country People


It sure is nice having chickens again. At least it is nice when I put the expense out of my mind considering how much it cost me to build the coop and fence in an area for them and feed them.

They are nice because they seem appreciative of everything. They flock around every day when I freshen their water. They get vocal when they see me coming toward them with a basket of weeds I just pulled from the garden. They dance around excitedly as I get ready to feed them their Layena and cracked corn. They love kitchen scraps.

I’m not even minding the roosters that crow at first light, though two of them will be soon dispatched to the freezer. I’ve had roosters before whose voices weren’t very pretty at all, sounding like an old mountain school bus horn. I’ve had other roosters that had sharp voices that pierced the walls and closed windows of the house like a combination of a chain saw mixed with a car alarm.

I am figuring all my new neighbors are enjoying the sounds of my roosters as much as they are sure I’m enjoying the sounds of their motorcycles, auto bass speakers and horn blowing every time they get in or out of their cars. I was going to go roosterless, but I think I will definitely keep one of them around for the country living thing that everyone seems to move out here for.

9 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

I love the rooster revenge on your neighbors. Do you have a young rooster? They make the most god awful noises while learning to crow.

6:12 AM  
Blogger MissKris said...

We have a lot of people in our general vicinity, including right across the street, who have chickens now. The young couple across the street has been gracious enough to allow me to take my 2-yr-old grandson into their back yard at any time to see their 4 hens. He just LOVES doing that! And the wife told me to check the nest area, that we can take eggs from there, too, if we like. I had the opportunity the first time to try and teach Dylan about holding things 'gentle' as we tried to transport two eggs home. Sadly, one fell on the driveway and cracked! You shouldve seen the expression on his face, ha!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Trop said...

I'm so jealous. I'd love to have my own chickens.

One of these days...

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will enjoy my expensive feed eating, constantly pooping, feathered nut jobs more once they are old enough to lay some eggs!!!!

They are entertaining distractions from yard work that's for sure.

8:53 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Syd, I have four young roosters. The two Cornish cross are as big as turkeys and they have a very deep bark. The Bard Rock are just starting to come along.

Kris, that reminds me of the first time I had chickens. I broke the first egg I ever got in my shirt pocket.

Trop, It's not that hard if you start small, but it is hard to sex the chicks, so see if you can get hens that are a little older. I've known people who got all roosters before.

Anon, it takes 4 months, Layena and oyster shells. Start looking for things to do with eggs because you'll have more than you will ever need even if you have one hen. I've got 18 hens! Yikes!

5:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Guy you may have already intuited this on some level but I will bring it to the forefront of your consciousness: We Are Your Other Chickens.

Yes having a blog is much like having a chicken coop. If its any good at all we will be here in it liking just about everything you do.

Except for bad rooster. Thats me. They come to kill the rooster. But he aint gonna die.. oh no.

By the way I keep getting syd and lowercase g mixed up. I think they may be the same animal.

12:26 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Are you joking CP? Syd and g aren't even from the same planet. They may both be Republicans, but that's where the similarity ends. Trust me on this one. Now get out there and lay me some eggs.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lay you some eggs ?!?!!!

I am a rooster, boya

Ah say, Ah say

dont you now becareful Ah say

Or Ill a cock your eggs up green, boya!

me=foghorn leghorn
g=that little friend of his

2:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would have thought g would flush at that last comment but he is some wily prey.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home