Monday, September 15, 2008

The Apples of Autumn


I can feel the autumn in the air every morning as I go out to feed the horses and chickens. It is just getting light at their feeding time and though there has yet to be a frost I know it isn’t far behind.

It occurs to me that apples are symbolic of autumn. There is that apple smell that seems to drift for miles on cool September mornings. We lost all of our apple trees in the storm but someone upwind from my house has some.

It was in September when we would be drawn farm stands when I was growing up. There they were selling what remained of the summer harvest. Corn and beans were less prominent at the stands and they had been replaced by squash, pumpkins and apples. The really good farm stands were selling jellies, jams and honey. If it was a really good stand they sold cider as well.

One of my favorite apple memories was when I was in my twenties and I spent a lot of time in the Adirondacks every fall. I would stop in the apple growing community of Chasey, New York and pick up a quarter bushel and then I’d head over to a spot on the Saranac River and set up camp where I would fish for trout. I would live for days on the apples and the fish I caught.

Apples go a long way as the building blocks of my fond autumn memories.

10 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Live off apples? In the woods? Boy, you were very brave. Hope you dug a big enough "hole" for your stay. LOL.

5:46 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I was trying to come up with a line about "Does a blogger s**t in the woods?" but it just wasn't there. Nowadays, you'd have to take the apples home and wash them before you could eat them. And remember when you could drink out of a creek without catching a case of the awful never get overs? My tap water now is nastier than the creek water was when I was a kid.

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 5 apples on my tree this year. I may starve.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

does a blogger sh#t in the woods?

Yes. Yes they do.

I recommend ferns first then the deciduous leaves if you can find some.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the bear asked the rabbit...does sh#t stick to your fur? The rabbit replied no - so the bear picked him up and wiped his butt with him.

Moose

4:01 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

OK, All you folks turned one of my fond memories into shit. Rat bastards...All of you... I just wonder what you'll do when I post my shit article later this week.

g, forget to prune this year?

5:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm sposed to prune?

no wonder i'm so hungry.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

The apple stands are already getting ready for the season. Apple-Pumpkin festival in a coupla weeks. Nothing like a nice juicy Mac to brighten the day:)

8:50 PM  
Blogger Ash Green said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Ash Green said...

Thank you so much for such an informative piece of information :)
If anyone interested similar one's have a look here
bestreviewtop

Thanks

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home