Friday, September 12, 2008

The Booth


I remember the first time I ever went into a voting booth. My father was a paraplegic and back then there were no ADA standards when it came to voting booths. He was unable to pull the levers in the limited space while he was in his wheel chair. Unable to come up with any other method for him to vote the local precinct allowed me to go into the booth with him and pull the levers for him.

At that time I was politically unaware. I wasn’t even registered to vote at that time. My father was a Republican and I never realized just how Republican he was until that thirty- seconds in the voting booth. He simply instructed me to pull every lever on the Republican side.

It was then that I realized that most people in the country vote their party rather than the issues the candidate stands behind. Often times it is one and the same, but sometimes it is not.

When I eventually did register to vote I registered as Independent. I feel absolutely inclination over party politics. In fact I get turned off when I see a candidate quote chapter and verse of their party platform and run under their flag.

There are a lot of problems being registered Independent. First I am the constant target of mail and telephone campaigns. I am often the target of surveys, which I do not respond to.

Another problem is that there are rarely any “independent” thinkers worth voting for. Any that get attention are quickly beaten down by the “Parties.” So we are stuck with an angry old man and his token puppet that has been sequestered like a veal, or young man that stumbles through his speeches and his mis-spoken, plagiarizing VP candidate.

The worst part is that most Americans are buying this two party sham and things will suck when either of them win.

While I’m here, allow me one more thought. I’m kind of pissed off by the elitism from both sides when they question leadership experience of both Obama and Palin. What they are saying is that no citizen/patriots are qualified to lead the country unless they have served several terms in the Congress, Senate or as Governor. Why are the voters of this country allowing this sort of crap to happen? Are they all sheep?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no third party because there isn't even two parties.

There is one party and we weren't invited. That party is all about excluding you, me and anyone who doesn't live in the beltway.

Occasionally a rich guy outsider will threaten to buy his way in and change things but usually his agenda is ego driven or worse, profit driven.

Any other serious attempts at playing outsider politics is dismissed by "us" as a novelty act no matter how well thought out, well intentioned or deserving it is.

By the way, when i say us I don't mean you, myself or other taxpayer/voters. I mean they who represent us in the form of media pollsters, pundits and players. The novelty act, if taken seriously would threaten their livelihood so they tell us that we are wasting our vote and we believe them.

And until I go look at a Ballot and see 3 and only 3 options for executive office, all represented equally I wont believe otherwise.

Glean4Pres!

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CP - you should have been an economics major....

I hate politics.
What would Clayton say?

11:16 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Hmmm...when I hire an electrician, I like it if they're certified...if I hire a realtor, I like if they have a license...when I elect a politician to high office, I like it when they have worked their way through the system and learned it well and can wield the influence they'll need to move anything...but I agree, they are all relatively the same and hardly anything ever gets done.

11:42 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

There are a lot of sheep out there.
IMHO
loopymama

2:10 PM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

To me, a person is qualified for office if they meet the following criteria:

(1) They are NOT a career politician. These people are so out of touch with reality, it's like they're from another planet. Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus ... and Politicians are from Uranus. Pun intended.

(2) They don't have a degree in law or "political science". Such people generally aspire to be career politicians.

(3) They've balanced a budget. Be it running a successful business, or just doing their family budget. They know how to make choices about what to spend (and save) based on what is coming in.

(4) They never held a government job. Since most government agencies are unConstitutional, anybody working for one is not to be trusted to enforce the Constitution.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Piss and vinegar is not my usual cup of tea of tequila but in this case; cheers!

8:26 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Most of what I know about politics I learned from Robert Heinlein. "If a man is pompous and foolish enough to actually want the job of president, he should be immediately disqualified." And: "Always vote. Even if there is nothing you want to vote for, there is surely something you need to vote against."
Ever since I realized that a "man of the people" will never be elected in this country again, I have ceased to cast my ballots for president. Or any other elected official for that matter. But I do have issues (Oh boy, do I have issues) that I want to vote against, and I do show up for that. Despite Roberts rules of Order stating "A motion to adjourn is always in order" that motion never seems to make it's way to the ballot. I'd vote for that.

4:03 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Maybe the sheep will revolt one day.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Most career politicians are lawyers; career politicians make the laws that lawyers try in front of judges who are generally lawyers appointed by career politicians, or they're elected to office, as are politicians, who are usually lawyers. Do I detect a trend here???

1:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

shakespeare's character said First thing we do is kill all the lawyers.

Alas! this is step IVIX. Already missed the chance. DOh.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home