Friday, November 07, 2008

Quotes From Mae West


There are few people from the 20th Century that will be known for their quotes. I did a piece on Yogi Berra last year. I need to do something on WC Fields, Woody Allen and Mark Twain. Oscar Wilde qualifies being that he lived until November 1900.

I can’t recall if there was ever a woman in history that was a quote mill quite the way Mae West was. She was known for double entendres during a period of heavy censorship of film, radio and stage. Her statements were carefully crafted and people always understood exactly what she was saying. Many of these quotes came from the 30s and 40s, but they are still pretty hot, even today.

Mae West died in 1980 at the age of 87. Enjoy her quotes:

A dame that knows the ropes isn't likely to get tied up.
A hard man is good to find.
A man can be short and dumpy and getting bald but if he has fire, women will like him.
A man in the house is worth two in the street.
A man's kiss is his signature.
A woman in love can't be reasonable - or she probably wouldn't be in love.
All discarded lovers should be given a second chance, but with somebody else.
An ounce of performance is worth pounds of promises.
Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly.
Cultivate your curves - they may be dangerous but they won't be avoided.
Don't keep a man guessing too long - he's sure to find the answer somewhere else.
Don't marry a man to reform him - that's what reform schools are for.
Every man I meet wants to protect me. I can't figure out what from.
Give a man a free hand and he'll run it all over you.
He who hesitates is a damned fool.
He's the kind of man a woman would have to marry to get rid of.
His mother should have thrown him out and kept the stork.
I always say, keep a diary and someday it'll keep you.
I believe in censorship. I made a fortune out of it.
I believe that it's better to be looked over than it is to be overlooked.
I didn't discover curves; I only uncovered them.
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.
I like a man who's good, but not too good - for the good die young, and I hate a dead one.
I like restraint, if it doesn't go too far.
I never loved another person the way I loved myself.
I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number you get in a diamond.
I only have 'yes' men around me. Who needs 'no' men?
I only like two kinds of men, domestic and imported.
I speak two languages, Body and English.
I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure.
I'm a woman of very few words, but lots of action.
I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
I've been in more laps than a napkin.
It ain't no sin if you crack a few laws now and then, just so long as you don't break any.
It is better to be looked over than overlooked.
It takes two to get one in trouble.
It's hard to be funny when you have to be clean.
It's not the men in my life that count, it's the life in my men.
Look your best - who said love is blind?
Love conquers all things except poverty and toothache.
Love isn't an emotion or an instinct - it's an art.
Love thy neighbor - and if he happens to be tall, debonair and devastating, it will be that much easier.
Marriage is a great institution, but I'm not ready for an institution.
Opportunity knocks for every man, but you have to give a woman a ring.
Say what you want about long dresses, but they cover a multitude of shins.
Sex is emotion in motion.
She's the kind of girl who climbed the ladder of success wrong by wrong.
Ten men waiting for me at the door? Send one of them home, I'm tired.
The score never interested me, only the game.
Those who are easily shocked should be shocked more often.
To err is human, but it feels divine.
Virtue has its own reward, but no sale at the box office.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to pick the one I never tried before.
When I'm good I'm very, very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better.
When women go wrong, men go right after them.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

13 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I think Mae West was my first crush. My dad had a big calendar with a poster of her on it hanging in the kitchen when I was small. I saw all of her movies thatI could, even tho I was too young to "get" most of the things she was saying. As I got older, I started to understand and my crush got stronger. She was a helluva woman. She's on the list of people I'm sorry I never met.

4:09 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

It always amazes me, watching the old Mae West movies, how "raw" the language is, especially for those times. I'm thinking these days they'd be rated "R".

5:00 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

She was just full of it, wasn't she? LOVE those quotes.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Trop said...

She just oozes sensuality, doesn't she???

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love love love Mae and also her bodacious PFDs !!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

12:32 PM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

I loved her...until...Sextette...ungh.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't wait for Oscar Wilde - my favorite - Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

And howbout one by an obscure young indian named Kalidasa - "Salutations to the Dawn"

I know nothing about dizzy whore's.

7:30 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, in what sense are you sorry you never met her?

Donna, Raw it was and did anyone seem to mind? I doubt it.

Syd, full of it in a good way ; ).

Trop,She exuded it.

Pammy, PDF? She used Adobe? Oh you mean the Mae West Vests.

Lori, there comes a time when everyone loses it.

g, dizzy whore? She was never dizzy. Your Warrenton is showing again.

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yah, that would be WARRINGTON, dude.

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

warnton

2:58 PM  
Blogger Mae West NYC said...

Hmmm, come up sometime and see Mae . . . MaeWest.blogspot.com

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shes was a whore. anybody who likes her has no morals.

10:31 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Anon, I will bet you have some wild stuff in your closet. After all you are replying to a post that is five months old, so you must have searched for it.

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home