Monday, November 03, 2008

Sick Day XXVI



I am sick of crappy security camera photos. How often do you see news footage with a criminal on a security camera that looks like a nightmare created by a black and white impressionist? What’s up, businesses? If you are apt to be robbed don’t you think you should place security cameras where they can actually capture the faces of the perps? Even cell phones have 3 mega pixel cameras these days, yet you mount cameras far away on the ceiling like you want to critique the customers’ wardrobes.

Look, if you want to capture their face you need to mount cameras where they can actually see faces; not try to see them beneath the brim of a hat. With proper lighting you should be able to count nose hairs in a photo.

When setting cameras up, have a professional photographer set them up for maximum exposure with realistic lighting.

6 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

What's with the brevity of your "monthly" list, Guy? Are you secretly having a love-fest with life these days? LOL

6:54 AM  
Blogger MissKris said...

And how about the "Suspect is described as a White/Hispanic/Black/Asian man/woman between 5'-6' tall" type of description, too, that TV posts? I mean, DUHHHHHHHHH!

6:56 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

Hmm, impressionist, or pointillist?

I agree that security cam photos could be a lot better, but you have to consider the cost. High resolution cameras are more expensive and require a good deal more storage space than the el cheapo versions. I think most businesses use the cameras as a deterrent more than a means of identifying people after a crime.

It's also very easy to identify someone from a crappy, low-resolution photo, especially if you know them.

If I was the one putting in security cams I'd probably put some very obvious, but fake, cameras up on the walls, and then put the real cameras down lower disguised as something else.

7:07 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Plus, most of the places are still recording their "take" from the cameras on VHS tapes that get used over and over until the tape breaks. By the time something tapeworthy happens, the tape is so old you couldn't tell if the guy was naked or wearing a "barney" suit.

4:02 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, this is sick day number 26. I think I've covered all the things that make me sick before. Just how nasty do you think I am? Do you think I'm a bottomless pit of sickness, hate and distrust?

Kris, I love that one of the composite drawing that looks just like the TV reporter.

Rich, I was trying to drum up some consulting work for you.

Darev, There are DVRs now. I know, it's a cost thing, but you'd figure banks would all have them by now.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

I used to view photos taken from 30,000 feet up where I could see the color of their eyes (almost) - I know they have the technology.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home