Friday, October 24, 2008

Hello Darkness My Old Friend...


I know there are a lot of day-light worshipers out there that get really bummed by the shorter days as winter approaches, but I’m not one of them. I wake up before first light and start my outdoor chores by spot light and flash light every morning. I never start any equipment until after 9:00AM as a courtesy to my neighbors. Fortunately there is always plenty of quiet work to do before 9:00AM.

During the summer I often find myself beginning my day at 5AM and often I continue working outside until 8PM. However, I really appreciate the shorter days of winter where the sun goes down and within a half hour it’s too dark to do anything. During the winter I get to go in earlier and have dinner at a reasonable hour. I like eating around 6pm, not after 9PM.

There are days when the rains prevent a lot of things from getting done that need to be done. These are good days for naps. I love the gloom of winter. I love relaxing in the evening.

9 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I spent every autumn of my life depressed until about three years ago. I think what happened is that I realized at my age I don't have that many autumns left, and I had better enjoy every day.

Once it hits you that you really are going to die, and it ain't gonna be that long till you do, you start enjoying every season.

4:24 AM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

I love autumn. While I'm not a nap-taker like you, I'm a curl-up-with-a-book-er. Sometimes I do it with a blanket! I know, living dangerously... ;)

7:14 AM  
Blogger Bookncoffee said...

Oh I love the coziness of a fall or winter day and being all hibernated. Our life is such a rush most of the time that I welcome January. Of course by March I'm beggin the sun to come visit and it makes spring so lovely. I think I am very much at peace in my location of having the four seasons (Tennessee). Raining today at 52 degrees. Nice to find your blog via Donna. She always finds the good blogs. lol
Sonya

8:32 AM  
Blogger weese said...

hmm, we are alot alike.
(well except for the napping. if i am napping my wife would probably call an ambulance)

12:52 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I've been there, tho I never was and probaly never will be a "morning" person. When the wife and I lived in Alaska the seasons were so strange and we learned to adjust. We would bundle up and go outside in forty below weather in the middle of winter to see the sun peek up for fifteen minutes and then go back down. And we had loads of blankets and warm comfy clothes. In the summer, when the sun never set, we would sleep for a max of two hours a night and be up and doing things twenty two hours a day.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bed at 10, up at 5, bed at 10, up at 5. repeat as needed.

i know no season.

6:19 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, as long as you can get up on your horse every day, you're doing good.

Jaggy, you will learn to appreciate naps when you double your age.

Sonya, welcome! I'm not suer I'd enjoy a mild climate winter like you have in Tenn. For me winter must have either snow or rain, but as long as the days are shorter, I'm there with you.

Weese, you need to learn to relax.

Darev, I would love to get that amount of daily darkness, but the summers would kill me.

g, I'm on that same schedule, but I get to relax more when it's dark.

5:31 AM  
Blogger MissKris said...

There's nothing like snuggling under a warm fleece blanket on the couch with my Chloe dog perched next to me, being all warm and cozy inside as we watch an autumn or winter storm dancing thru the trees outside. A cup of hot coffee and a good book make it a perfect day.

2:11 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I'm with you, Kris, except for the dog part.

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home