Saturday, October 18, 2008

Old Photos


One of the frustrations of writing about things I experienced as a child is not having the exact image or illustration I would like to have to show exactly where I was. It is akin to trying to pass off a photo the Statue of Liberty in Las Vegas as the real thing. Had I known the images of something like a hot dog stand would have importance to me one day I would have taken a dozen photos. Sometimes the illustrations I find go far above and beyond what I could possibly have hoped for.

Ginger mentioned her appreciation for the illustrations I use the other day and how fitting they are. I know this gets mentioned every time Rich Pix brings up the issues of photo credits to me, so your protest is noted in advance, Rich, but I often review hundreds of illustrations for each article. I down load between ten and twenty and then I try each one out to see how it looks against the text. Weird, I know I shouldn’t fret over that sort of stuff for a blog, but that’s what I do.

I really need to start bringing a camera with me every where I go because many of the things we see today will be gone when they become important enough to write about them. In the future.

7 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I often think how wonderful it would be if we'd had digital cameras when I was growing up. We didn't even use flash cameras in my family until the 50's. What I'd give to have a picture of my grandma sitting in her rocking chair, crocheting. Most of the pictures taken by my mom were posed... you know, people lined up, squinting into the sun, with forced smiles.

I usually do keep my camera with me, but even then I often forget to use it.

4:16 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I've often thought the same thing. I actually did carry a camera in my truck for awhile (first a film camera, then a digital) but the film got hot and went bad and then the batteries wore down. I'd love to be able to take a camera in to work with me but that is definitely NOT allowed. I'm new at this blogging thing so I get in a hurry trying to get a post up I often just don't insert a picture. Think I'll spend more time and try to find something appropriate. There are so many many childhood things I wish I had pictures of. If I had a chance to do it all over.....

6:28 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

i forget my camera often, and promised myself that i'd get a SLR and snap away more often. riiiiight.
cam pics are lousy, unless you use them in context... i sed to always have a photo to accompany my old blog. now? not so much. laziness, i suppose...

7:32 AM  
Blogger CB said...

Half of my photos turn out fuzzy. I should take a digital photo class. Take the camera where ever I go but forget to use it half the time! I am collecting a bunch of photos for the NCO library. Keeping them over on flickr for now. Like you said, it's hard to know what you are going to need it for. Who would of thunk that Oney's was going to burn down so take a picture of it the next time you go that way?

11:39 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I've given away all but one of my SLR film cameras and all my dark room equipment. Back when I did a lot of film photography I only enjoyed working the image in the dark room, I couldn't stand taking the photos.

The new cameras are 8 MP these days? Damn that's sharp. I wonder how far they are going to take this.

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a little late commenting on this post. We were out all weekend, shooting around town.

We're both photographers (you got rid of your film cameras and your darkroom equipment???? Blasphemy, I tell ya! ;-)) and I still shoot film. DH is both 4 x 5 and digital. His camera is 12.6 MP. Hasselblad has a 39.7!! Who knows how far they can take it??

There are some really amazing photographers in this town. I am constantly amazed that some of them can find a new and interesting angle on often-seen landmarks. They challenge me to find my own view.

Cynthia

12:42 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Cyn, there is a point where one must move into the future. They are even doing away with Kodachrome. That says a lot.

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home